• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mineral Spirits on Firearm Non-Metal Parts

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
I have used mineral spirits for many years to soak small metal firearm parts overnight, then blow-dry, then apply a lubricant and all has been fine. I would now like to soak overnight the fire control/trigger group of a 22lr rifle I recently acquired, but am not sure if it will begin dissolving the hard plastic/polymer portions. I googled online and read that mineral spirits will dissolve SOME plastics. Anyone have real life experience in this area ? I realize I could just use Ballistol or Powder Blast or Gun Scrubber or ???, but would like an answer to my question. Thanks.

It depends on the type of plastic. Some guns plastics can handle carb cleaner, parts cleaner just fine, others dissolve. I have used those chemicals on the plastic frames of S&Ws, GLocks etc, but have never soaked in them. However, I did spray some carb cleaner on the trigger guard of a Marlin 60 once and noticed the plastic was damaged by it. Also, don't get it on any wooden parts.

That being said, if you need to soak a plastic part to clean it, try just good old soapy water with dawn or the like. Then rinse and dry real good when done.

Rosewood

Petroleum based products in general do not play well with certain types of plastic and since we don't know the type of plastic, why risk it?

Mineral Spirits is very economical for the cleaning of metal parts and particularly useful for soaking and cleaning the choke tubes for shotguns, but I am careful not to use on plastics and stock finishes.

Dawn is definitely a gentle and effective option. I had forgotten about ultrasonic, at least for small parts. I have one I use for jewelry. Thanks again for all responses.

Back
Top Bottom