• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mirror polishing

My choice of tools for doing a mirror finish

Wire brush, soft bristle tooth brush, cotton towel, microfiber towel, mothers mag and aluminum polish, CLP, and a metric ****-ton of elbow grease.

My basic process is as follows:

Apply light coat of polish with tooth brush, work it in well, wire brush until polish turns black, wipe clean with cotton towel, very light coat of CLP, use microfiber cloth to buff.
Repeat till you get desired results.

This is the slide from a Beretta Nano I bought this morning and started working on. I hsha only spent about 3 hours working on it so far. A full mirror polish job takes around 15 hours.

Using a dremel or buffing wheel would expedite the process greatly but I find that doing it by hand is rather therapeutic.

Attachments

• 1010182330.jpg
    1010182330.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1010182212.jpg
    1010182212.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1010181901.jpg
    1010181901.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1010182316a.jpg
    1010182316a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 1010182323.jpg
    1010182323.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 42
A Pre-2010 Glock will have Tennifer metal treatment and newer Glocks should have a smiliar nitriding. Especially the older Glocks should be totally immune to rust unless you polish 1 or 2mm deep somehow.

I personally wouldn’t do it one a Glock made from late 2010 to 2012. The metal treatment got a little sketchy during that era sometimes.
Roger that. Kind of dissappointing but I don't want to ruin anything.

My choice of tools for doing a mirror finish

Wire brush, soft bristle tooth brush, cotton towel, microfiber towel, mothers mag and aluminum polish, CLP, and a metric ****-ton of elbow grease.

My basic process is as follows:

Apply light coat of polish with tooth brush, work it in well, wire brush until polish turns black, wipe clean with cotton towel, very light coat of CLP, use microfiber cloth to buff.
Repeat till you get desired results.

This is the slide from a Beretta Nano I bought this morning and started working on. I hsha only spent about 3 hours working on it so far. A full mirror polish job takes around 15 hours.

Using a dremel or buffing wheel would expedite the process greatly but I find that doing it by hand is rather therapeutic.
I printed this out. Lol. I'm gonna go for it. Might try the new gun I just got.

Never tried it on a firearm but I've done several hundred linear feet in the shop. Many different grits of sandpaper followed by many different grits of rouge on a big buffer wheel. If you skip a step it takes twice as long.Gotta watch the heat though as stainless is quick to turn on you. You can judge progress by the reflection. Long ,laborious process to get a real mirror look. And don't scratch it any where along the line or you have to start all over.Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom