• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mk12 Mod Dawg: Part Deux

one word for you DILLON!!!!
One more word, KIDS!
Can't remember the last time I loaded my ammo, and I've got an upgraded Dillon 650 setup. I've got bullets, primers, powder, brass.........everything I need........except for TIME! LOL
Bingo. See above.

And honestly, the thought of reloading almost overwhelms me. Got tons of brass, even a few pounds of good powder. But when I start reading reloading threads, thinking about cleaning, case prep, trimming, different crimps, tenths of a grain, COAL, it all starts to feel wizardry to me. Between equipment and techniques, it's not something that I want to jump into without a good mentor.

And honestly, the thought of reloading almost overwhelms me. Got tons of brass, even a few pounds of good powder. But when I start reading reloading threads, thinking about cleaning, case prep, trimming, different crimps, tenths of a grain, COAL, it all starts to feel wizardry to me. Between equipment and techniques, it's not something that I want to jump into without a good mentor.

Depends on what you're trying to do. I have a generic 7.62x51mm load, mimics the M118LR. It was sub-MOA in any decent rifle, and will run in bolt guns and autos. I could use it and my students could use it. I have another load that's specifically for my main rifle, tailor-made for it, that I put a lot more work into, but when I can ring steel at 1,450yds with my generic load, I questioned the extra work that went into my special one. If I were competing then it would be worth it. Otherwise, not so much. I could shoot .25MOA and better with my tailored load, if I do my part, but I was shooting .5MOA and better with the generic load. Basically, "good enough".

I find it so therapeutic, though. Put the kids to bed, kiss the wife good night and then head downstairs into the gun room. Turn on the radio and load twenty rounds. Something about the smell of the case lube and the gun powder and the satisfying *thump* when the primer pops out and the case seats.

There's no wizardry to it. It's a recipe. Pay attention to it, follow it, and enjoy.

Come reload with me. I ain't anal about it at all. Consistent powder load and you can half-ass the other stuff if time is more important than turning a .74 group into a .63.

Come reload with me. I ain't anal about it at all. Consistent powder load and you can half-ass the other stuff if time is more important than turning a .74 group into a .63.
I'd love to. But we can't even find time to go SHOOT together!
I don't have time either, but I have 2x the kids.
It will get a little easier as the littlest one gets older. Having a baby at 40, is nuts!

Back
Top Bottom