• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Modifying AR feed ramps for 7.62x39mm

I have always wondered what benefit the two narrow ramps provided. One wide feed ramp would seem to work better for rounds that are perfectly aligned and for rounds that are mis aligned. If a round is misaligned and hits the center bump on a barrel extension with two cuts it looks like it could cause a misdeed.

Nearly done. Full removal complete, and some hand polishing done.

I will finish it up in the shop, using extra fine Cratex bits, followed by felt bobs with increasingly finer grades of polishing rouge. I’ll take more pics as the process moves along.

View attachment 3913412
Looks like that aughta work great !

Wish I would have known about this mod back in 2006 when I had a x39 AR.
It fed ok, but not good enough. Feedramps were polished well ,but not knowing about this mod led me to sell the upper.
Cproducts x39 mags were only a rumor then and I was blaming reliability on the mags too. Couldnt load but 7 or 8 in a 20 rounder.

As a second point of comparison, I have numerous ARs chambered in 7.62x39, both pistols and rifles, and they all run flawlessly without any modifications to the feed ramps. Although I experienced similar failure to feed issues and could see scratches to both the bullet and casing in my early builds, I determined that it was the magazine feed exit point cut in the magazine that was inadequate. The same poor design was on all 7.62x39 mags I tested.

As many others have noted, a simple modification to the magazine is a typical fix. To date, I have "dremeled" over 40 mags, like the one below, and the issue, at least for me, has been resolved.

If you look closely at the top of the left "un-dremeled" mag in the picture below, you can see that the top "ready to feed" round is almost perfectly in line with the mag exit point (although my camera angle makes it look slightly above the metal), meaning that the bullet and steel casing have a very high probability of snagging the mag upon exit, thus leaving the scratch/gouge on the bullet and casing, also resulting in a potential mis-feed angle.

For the "dremeled" mag on the right, the "ready to feed" round is well above the mag exit point, thus allowing free exit with no restriction in feed. After trying many mag brands, the 28-round C-Products Defense is what I try to buy, as the 28-round fits better in most mag pouches (less of a curve in design) and is easy to Dremel to give me the same positive feed results.

C-Products_Defense_dremel.jpg

I tried to run a ar platform in 7.62! the problem I kept running into was after 15 plus rounds in the mag they would not cycle up in the mag and they would get wedged
When loaded Less than 10 in the mag no issue what so ever. After every 7.62 ar mag I could find and every trick i found at the time nothing would prevent the rounds from Jamming inside the mag .
The diameter of the 7.62 in a 556 mag they get wedged instead sliding up.

My experence was all mag based problems, your mileage and coice of 7.62 ammo may make a difference

I see how you read that oppsite of the way i intended.

I was using 3 diffrent brands of AK styled ar mags. All 3 had the same issue and I even tried using AK springs in the ar styled mags with no success.

You may get diffrent results using brass cased or diffrent brands of ammo. Everything I tried failed miserably! Tula, wolf, Brown Bear.

I didn’t invent this “modification”. The first time I became aware of it was when Bushmaster started selling 7.62x39mm AR’s that had a reputation for reliability. Bushmaster did two things differently in their upper; large gas ports (I’ll have to do some digging to come up with the size they used), and a single, large feed ramp in the barrel instead of two separate ones.

Look at the differences in the size and taper of the 5.56x45mm vs the 7.62x39mm, and you’ll see why the 2 small M4 feed ramps could cause issues.

I’ve done this barrel extension modification on 3 previous AR’s in 7.62x39mm with great success.
I believe POF uses a similar feed ramp

Back
Top Bottom