• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mold Issue

cpw006

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
We're in the process of finishing a room in the basement and in doing some electrical work I came across what appears to be some mold. I had a plumber install a spigot and water heater and also had them remove and cap a vent pipe that was not being used in the basement. The vent pipe is still being used for a sink above, they just cut it out from tying into the basement.

Today I pulled back some insulation and found that the cap they used is slowly leaking. I think they should have used a hard cap glued on, but instead they used some type of screwed on rubber cap.

They did the work a few months ago, so it hasn't been leaking for too terribly long.

What are my options for fixing this issue properly? Do I need to get someone out to do mold remediation and remove and replace the wood? Or do I just clean the mold off and use some mold killing chemicals? It's not a large area.

I'm worried about the mold spreading and becoming a larger issue once I close the wall up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230104_215730433.jpg
    PXL_20230104_215730433.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20230104_215743678.jpg
    PXL_20230104_215743678.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 70
Ok, so I've cleaned it up and it's not as bad as it originally looked. No rot or anything, so I think I was just worrying too much about the mold. I'm just paranoid it's going to keep going.
Nah, if you replace that rubber cap with a proper glue on then you'll never have to worry about it again. Once the moisture is gone the mold will die off and you won't have to worry about that either

Doooooo NOT USE BLEACH on a non hard surface!

Use white vinegar! Bleach is fine on hard surfaces but not on porous surfaces such as wood.

The vinegar will need to saturate the area and left to dry on its own. I’d repeat applications as necessary to rid it for good as long as you’ve removed the food source (moisture)

Use white vinegar! Bleach is fine on hard surfaces but not on porous surfaces such as wood.

The vinegar will need to saturate the area and left to dry on its own. I’d repeat applications as necessary to rid it for good as long as you’ve removed the food source (moisture)
What about hydrogen peroxide?

Why no bleach?

Back
Top Bottom