• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mouse Guns: KelTec P32 vs Taurus TCP

bid9394

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
71   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a mouse gun and have kind of narrowed it down to the Taurus TCP and the KelTec P32 (yes, I've considered the P3AT). Since size and weight are my two primary factors for this BUG application (capacity, reliability, capability, features/functionality and cost being others), these are kind of in the final round. I have handled pretty much all of the contenders, except for the P32 (can't find one yet). There is a lot I like about the TCP.
What are your thoughts about performance, reliability and quality? Performance also extends to the .32 vs. .380 ballistics. Thanks!

.32 vs .380 differences in same size guns is minimal and arguable. Both lack the Knock down factor at normal ranges 7-10feet, but these guns were not designed for that application. It is more or less a contact weapon at conversational distances or used as back up when fighting to retain your main sidearm. For the purpose intended both function as intended. In my opinion based on personal experience the Kel Tek .32 is a much better choice than any Taurus of later manufacture. I have P32 that I pocket carry everyday. Fired over 600rds so far anything from Corbon, Gold Dots, Win, Hornady, Federal HS and many more types of HP or FMJ. Not a single malfunction so far. I now carry FMJ Fiochi Italian made for the better penetration
results.

I carry a P3-AT everyday. I use an inexpensive Uncle Mike's pocket holster to let it ride safely in my back pocket. The pistol is like carrying a second wallet. I bought this one new a year or so ago, and it's been 100% reliable with my ammo of choice. I've never been any more satisfied with any pocket pistol than with one of these.

of the 2 i'd go with the p32. i've owned several and all shot well with no issues. will surprise you as far as accuracy.

I've had my TCP for a year now. like it a lot. i shot about 200 rounds thru it when I got it. first two magazines had a few FTF but have not had a single issue since with a variety of FMJ and JHP loads i've put thru it. probably 400 rounds so far. a lot more accurate than I care about, took a while to get used to the longer trigger pull compared to my colt mustang pocketlight. may end up with a P238 one of these days but have decided to hang onto the TCP because of the weight (or lack of it). I like the last round lock back slide feature. I was set to buy the LCP but after handling them side by side I went with the TCP and am glad I did. i've got an older PT101 stainless 40 and have never had any problems with either of them after many rounds. guess some folks have had issues with Taurus over the years but i'm happy with the ones I have. BTW i usually carry hornady critical protection in mine if that matters. feeds them great.

Wouldn't hesitate to carry the P32 if that's what I had. If buying new and had a choice, I'd choose the P3AT. So little difference in dimensions, weight, and price that it's not worth choosing the smaller caliber.

I also trust Kel Tec quality in small pocket guns more than I do Taurus. There are a lot of Taurus products I like, but they produce more lemons than most makers, and the smaller the product, the more lemons they seem to make. Kel Tec had early bugs in their ultra-small guns, but they have amassed a lot more experience in this type of pistol than Taurus, and have worked out the bugs. I would expect a new Kel Tec P3AT or P32 to be more reliable than a TCP. These are not for squirrels, tin cans, or Civil War re-enactments. It's a last-ditch, bet-your-life-on-it firearm. Get the one that is mostly likely to work each time, every time.

And, of all the products mentioned, the PF9 is a better choice. :)

i carried a p32 for a few years as a pocket gun and trusted it. had 2 diff ones and no issues out of either. I have switched over to a p3at now though
no experience with the taurus though

why are you wanting to go with the p32 over the p3at? you only lose 1 round capacity and good .380 ammo is much more readily available

why are you wanting to go with the p32 over the p3at? you only lose 1 round capacity and good .380 ammo is much more readily available

I'm actually still considering the P3AT due to the fact that I wouldn't have to stock yet another caliber of ammo (my wife loves her .380). I know that KelTec developed the P3AT based on the P32 platform, so the dimensions are almost identical (biggest spec difference is weight- 8.3 oz vs 6.6 oz)- realize that is not a lot, but even small differences can seem big depending upon where you carry. My biggest peeve on the differences between the P32 and the P3AT is that they dropped the slide lock feature; I know this may seem minor, but when you're caught up in a potential life-threatening situation, counting rounds is one less stress factor...

My biggest peeve on the differences between the P32 and the P3AT is that they dropped the slide lock feature; I know this may seem minor, but when you're caught up in a potential life-threatening situation, counting rounds is one less stress factor...

The odds of you firing the gun in self defense are very small. The odds of your firing seven rounds in self-defense and needing a reload...I can't even begin to imagine what the odds of that are. Even if it happened, under that kind of stress, most of us would probably perceive an unresponsive trigger before we perceived a locked back slide.

Back
Top Bottom