• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mouse Guns: KelTec P32 vs Taurus TCP

The odds of you firing the gun in self defense are very small. The odds of your firing seven rounds in self-defense and needing a reload...I can't even begin to imagine what the odds of that are. Even if it happened, under that kind of stress, most of us would probably perceive an unresponsive trigger before we perceived a locked back slide.

Agree to all of the above. Just my opinion, but it falls into the same category of argument as whether to carry in config 1 or not; some swear based on battle drills that it doesn't take appreciably more time to rack the slide after you draw it. Me, I'd just rather not have to worry about that extra step, even though I'm very comfortable with the drill. My wife on the other hand, REALLY prefers the lock to the rear feature. Since she may carry/use it, I want to think of her as well (same reason I got rid of my car with a manual tranny after we married- she could learn, just didn't feel as comfortable).

all the p32's i've had locked back. was a factor for me too. that and i just shoot the 32 better. i guess the difference in recoil in a small gun made the difference for me. i like the p3at as well. but not locking back is an irritation. so i got a revolver. lol

My mouser is a Diamondback 380 looks like a baby Glock and seems to do fine as long as you don't limp wrist it. After a few 100 rounds and a few jams(probably my reloads) I have no complains. You fellas seen one of these?

You probably can't go wrong with either. I don't buy into the junk science of stopping power that mandate you carry $30.00/20 cartridges Hornaday VMAX 675 grain JHP Destruct-o-tip ammunition. For the weight savings, decreased recoil, and added capacity, I would buy the .32 and practice to the point of proficiency. Then practice some more. Shot placement is everything when we're talking handguns.

Of the two mentioned I would go with the Keltec. That said, I have seen several fail within their first 200 rounds, a trip to the factory and all issues resolved, but it is something to keep in mind. Would a .380 be a better choice? Depends on preference, neither the .32 or .380 are huge man stoppers, but both will suffice and it beat throwing stones. In both cases I see them as belly guns where you are going to stick the pistol in the belly or under the chin and pull the trigger until the gun goes click. If you are expecting to have to a tactical or combat reload, get a bigger gun, maybe a baby Glock, a PF9 or something bigger that will let you rack the slide. Slide locks work well, but I have seen enough times where the gun failed to lock back, on everything from little .22s to glocks, 1911s, and everything else, if you want to be able to rack it under stress go bigger in size of your carry choice.

On a note, having shot the pistols, for a pocket pistol I still like the LCP, find it to be exceptional accurate for a handgun its size. Have no experience with the diamondback yet.

You probably can't go wrong with either. I don't buy into the junk science of stopping power that mandate you carry $30.00/20 cartridges Hornaday VMAX 675 grain JHP Destruct-o-tip ammunition. For the weight savings, decreased recoil, and added capacity, I would buy the .32 and practice to the point of proficiency. Then practice some more. Shot placement is everything when we're talking handguns.

I must agree, I think this is something that was brought up one time in regards to why in the European market .32 is much more popular because you can carry an extra round and the difference in stopping power is not enough to justify greater recoil and less ammo.

Also, the keltec does have a 10rd mag that makes it much more gripable for those with larger hands.

On a note, having shot the pistols, for a pocket pistol I still like the LCP, find it to be exceptional accurate for a handgun its size. Have no experience with the diamondback yet.

I have looked into the Diamond Back- the specs are impressive, but can't seem to find one anywhere (maybe I haven't looked in the right locations). As far as going bigger to "rack the slide", I already have that for my primary; I'm looking for a different BUG to probably wear in an ankle holster- hence my concern on weight and size; I can't wear anything larger than microcompact without some obvious "printing" (which destroys the 'concealed' part of CCW).

I love the LCP- the finger groove grip fits my hand so much nicer than the grips on the P3AT, PF9, TCP and BG380 (haven't held a P32 yet). The 'problem' gets into the fact that the LCP lacks the chamber loaded indicator and the slide lock. Both of these features are strongly preferred by my better half who may use it from time to time. The TCP and the P32 both have the slide lock, and the TCP has the chamber indicator.

I really appreciate the input, especially from those who've used these platforms.

I have looked into the Diamond Back- the specs are impressive, but can't seem to find one anywhere (maybe I haven't looked in the right locations). As far as going bigger to "rack the slide", I already have that for my primary; I'm looking for a different BUG to probably wear in an ankle holster- hence my concern on weight and size; I can't wear anything larger than microcompact without some obvious "printing" (which destroys the 'concealed' part of CCW).

I love the LCP- the finger groove grip fits my hand so much nicer than the grips on the P3AT, PF9, TCP and BG380 (haven't held a P32 yet). The 'problem' gets into the fact that the LCP lacks the chamber loaded indicator and the slide lock. Both of these features are strongly preferred by my better half who may use it from time to time. The TCP and the P32 both have the slide lock, and the TCP has the chamber indicator.

I really appreciate the input, especially from those who've used these platforms.

I think the AR bunker had a couple of the Diamondbacks a while back, from everything I have heard I am not truly impressed with the pistol. That said, it is a new design, they are going to have hiccups. For what it sounds like for your wants you may want to look at the P238 by Sig, you are going to pay more new, but used they can be had for about $400. You have all the features, last round hold open, and is basically a mini 1911, the problem is that it is a 1911 design and some people feel the safety is a liability.

As far as other features, a loaded chamber indicator as far as I am concerned is useless. And ankle carry... I don't like it, but that has more to do with the school of thought that if you have to get to it you are either going to be on your back fighting, or pray you are behind cover. Getting to it quickly is not the best for an ankle carry. Now if its a backup... that's different, for primary though I think there are a lot of better ways to carry it.

Kain8719- thanks, I was I little concerned about the Diamondbacks; I'd prefer something with a proven track record.

What this thread proves is that there is no perfect weapon- especially if you're trying to please more than one person! The chamber indicator is for my wife- it gives her a sense of security. As for me, I don't worry about it- if a weapon is on me, it is ALWAYS loaded and in config 1, so I never wonder.

As for a 1911 style, I like it, but my better half finds it intimidating. Simple is better. Hey, she's come a long way- from tolerating my habit to owning several weapons of her own, buying her ammo (solo!) and bugging me wondering when we're going to the range again! I want her to be comfortable with the BUG as well, so I'll sacrifice some of my desires for hers.

Back
Top Bottom