• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MRE'S

The limited shelf life and intolerance to heat make them a bad option in my opinion. I had the good fortune to eat a few expired/bad/out of spec MRE's (once on a camping trip where they were the only food I had, and I needed to eat) and can say without a doubt they are not edible once they go bad. Sure they might technically be edible (and not make you physically sick) but I couldn't do it and I will eat just about anything. The heaters also have a shelf life, found that out while camping too.

They are also pretty expensive for what you get. A case of twelve usually runs about $60-80 or more depending on the brand, so $6 each is about average. Sure you get a good bit of food for $6, about 1200 calories worth, but there are MUCH better options out there for the money that offer more calories, better nutrition, and less sodium (MRE's are really really high in salt content).

On the flip side, they are ready to eat, don't require water to reconstitute, have everything you need in one package (even matches and TP), and taste OK depending on the meal. I like them a lot for their convenience and do have some on hand that I keep in the car for emergencies, but they are the cold weather type. A standard MRE in the trunk of a car in the GA summer heat would last about 3-4 months or so before it started going bad. Arctic ones, which are freeze dried, will last MUCH longer (a few years at least in the same conditions). So, they do have a place in my prepping, but I mainly stay away from them for long-term sustenance.

well, they will stop you up like grease in a drain. like JJ said, bad shelflife, I prefer the dehydrinated food, 20yr self life (figurativly) and better tasting.

Jsquared and Willr1 pretty much told you the same thing I would tell you.
One extra tidbit; if you are storing extra food for your family for an "End of Society" type situation; MREs will be an
expensive route of preparation. But if you plan on being by yourself, and on the move, then MREs may work for you.
I am actually soldout of MREs at the moment. What is everyone preparing for? (haha)
www.foodsurvivalstore.com

just ran into some info that the odt community may find interesting.
if anyone has some experience with this please let us know.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/

as for mre's they tend to be expensive and have shorter shortage life and they do create a lot of trash.

Last edited:
just ran into some info that the odt community may find interesting.
if anyone has some experience with this please let us know.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/

as for mre's they tend to be expensive and have shorter shortage life and they do create a lot of trash.

Food Insurance is expensive and not all that good. The Wise products are better (not by much though) and definitely less expensive. MRE's...I avoid them now because I can......I like the freeze dried products in pouches (if portability is an issue) and # 10 cans (MH, Alpine Aire, Thrive, Augason Farms, Saratoga Frams) , grains, legumes, canned cheese and canned butter.

Back
Top Bottom