• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MRE'S

I don't claim to know a ton aobut the subject but from what I have been able to learn so far I think the Wise Foods, freeze dried meals are the best for LONG term. They have a 25 year storage claim and at Cheaper than Dirt the 60 serving kit is only $99.97. I tried a bit at a vendor at the gun show last week and while I don't think I'll be opening a restaurant with them on the menu, I can see living off of them for the most part.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/FOOD731-1.html

I was in the army when they transitioned from C-rats to MRE's. Many's the time I missed C-rats. Seems I always got stuck with dehydrated pork patty. We didn't have heaters either but ther exhaust manifold of our truck or boat cooked them just fine. We used to combine our coffee creamer packet, and sugar packet and bake them on the engine to make "ranger cookies". The worst desert was fruit cake...man, I miss C-rats just THINKING about the fruit cake. LOL!

We store them in a cool dry location and so far no problems. I never had any major problems with getting stopped up. You get anywhere from 1-7 years storage dependng on temperature, at least with the MREs we buy. Honestly, though, we're not buying a ton of MREs. We've gotten pretty good at buying local foods with long shelf life and ordering freeze dried.

Freezed dried in #10 cans and pouches are a good alternative. Emergency Essentials, Safe Castle, and Shelf Reliance are a few of the suppliers we use. We wait for the 25% off sales plus free shipping. With Emegency Essentials you can also do group orders which gives you a break on price and shipping fees.

Back
Top Bottom