• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mushroom hunting (Wild Mushrooms)

When / where do morels start growing? I was going to a friend’s place to look for more chanterelles but not sure it’s time yet? Want to see what else may be out there.

Haven't seen the chantrelles up yet. I'll post when I see them start to come up. I'm in NGA around the Ellijay area if that helps.

I actually found a place that sells spores of morels & chantrelles innoculated into substrate. I'm putting in a large hoop house this week and covering all my beds with several inches of straw. Gonna inoculate straw between and under all my plants with a variety of mushroom spores. Different color oysters, wine caps, and whatever else I find that will do well in straw. Also have a ton of hardwood logs. Gonna cut them into decent sizes, soak them, and innoculate them with mushrooms that need a hardwood substrate. Gonna be a fun project. Under the straw will be a mix of composted chicken litter and composted horse/donkey manure. Was thinking next crop rotation I can leave a spot without straw and try some crimini or portobello mush. All just an experiment for me. I want to see how well it works. At any rate, the fungal network in the beds should really improve my soil quality over time.

I actually found a place that sells spores of morels & chantrelles innoculated into substrate. I'm putting in a large hoop house this week and covering all my beds with several inches of straw. Gonna inoculate straw between and under all my plants with a variety of mushroom spores. Different color oysters, wine caps, and whatever else I find that will do well in straw. Also have a ton of hardwood logs. Gonna cut them into decent sizes, soak them, and innoculate them with mushrooms that need a hardwood substrate. Gonna be a fun project. Under the straw will be a mix of composted chicken litter and composted horse/donkey manure. Was thinking next crop rotation I can leave a spot without straw and try some crimini or portobello mush. All just an experiment for me. I want to see how well it works. At any rate, the fungal network in the beds should really improve my soil quality over time.
I'm lichen your ideas! :eyebrows:

Yes all of the above! Cause I know comments are coming View attachment 3558169
Anyone interested in learning the ins and outs of harvesting wild mushrooms? @cz52Man has sparked an interest with me and was wondering if there are any others out there that want to learn??????
Back in the Midwest hunting Shroom's (Morel's) was a cabin fever breaking and a spring time right of passage. I think the Piedmont Morel season is past, but southern Tennessee and the far North GA mountains might just be starting. If you have a place to find Morel's just give me a shout and I'll gladly tag along. Back home we call it hunting because you never know if you'll find any. Dead Elm's were great for finding Yellow's but you had to catch them just right. When the bark was decaying and falling off the trunk. . Grey's were found under Ash trees and on one rare occasion in a Maple patch. Blacks were first in April, too small and to hard for my eyes to see.

It’s getting close! Can’t wait to go pickin!
So this is something I really want to learn about. I’m guessing there is a certain time of year to go? Or is it more like fruits and vegetables where they have different seasons? Probably should get a book so I can learn.

So this is something I really want to learn about. I’m guessing there is a certain time of year to go? Or is it more like fruits and vegetables where they have different seasons? Probably should get a book so I can learn.
Time of year and location. Need a combo of heat and rain to make ‘em pop. Metro ATL, chants are end of May to end of June. In the mountains, end of June to end of July. We typically only forage chanterelles, chicken of the woods, lions mane, cinnabars, old man of the woods and cauliflowers. Happy to show you you around when they start poppin if you wanna make a trip to the mountains. I myself would like to learn more about IDing oysters. Morels always seem to elude me for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom