• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My son saved my dove shoot/mother of all jams

Fatstacks

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
23   0
Reaction score
In the middle of the very best dove shoot I’ve ever attended I loaded a 16 gauge shell into my favorite shotgun , a Browning 12 gauge Auto Five by accident. The action was fast and I reached into the box of 12 gauge shells that I’ve had for years and pulled out a pocket full of shells and loaded a 16 gauge shell that shouldn’t have been in the box. As I sat next to a hay bail crying , my 15 year old son said “ I’ll shoot a bird and then you can shoot a bird” and we started sharing the same shogun. My son saved my day. The 16 gauge shell is 1” down the barrel after being pushed by a 12 gauge shell.

Attachments

• 2D1A20B7-AC1D-4F70-AFFD-121CDC223147.jpeg
    2D1A20B7-AC1D-4F70-AFFD-121CDC223147.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 78
I would have cut a limb and shoved it down the barrel muzzle to chamber and knocked the shell out.

I always take at least two shotguns to a dove shoot.

I fired a 16 ga out of a 12 ga 1100. It didn't eject and the boss casing was split. I dug it out with my pocket knife and checked the box to make sure there wasn't anymore 16s in there.

With my failing eyesight, I try not to own firearms that have ammo that very close to the same size of others.

"I always take at least two shotguns to a dove shoot."

THIS!

I also always have a case of shells in each gauge I am shooting. Several folks ALWAYS show up without ammo.

Back
Top Bottom