• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a bicycle for a big man!

Zombie thread...lol. Soooo.....since this is a couple months old, how's it gone for you BIGLEW BIGLEW , did you get a bike? Have you lost weight? I've just begun riding with my son for the same reason, I'm hoping to lose some myself.

Decided I am going to shed some weight by riding a bike around with my kids in the neighborhood. Problem is I do not know anything about them. I am 6'6" and just north of 300 lbs. I will only ride on streets, and will not be serious riding. What I mean is I am not looking to win a gold medal, just mess around, get my heart pumping, and drop some weight while I am at it.

Let me know.

I walked 2.5 miles per day for close to a year until a bad case of plantar fasciitis convinced me that I need to change exercise regimens. I haven't ridden a bicycle in 30 years, had hip surgery in 1996, I'm 56 and weighed 250 lbs. prior to riding. So I researched all types of bicycles trying them out and settled on the fat tire models. Found numerous reviews from those age 50 to 70+ who found fat bikes easier to ride. They go on or off road for all seasons. I bought a SE F@E with 4 inch wide tires (20 PSI max.) from Motostranos. The wheels are 29 inches tall, chose the small 15 inch aluminum frame, hydraulic disc brakes, 27 speeds, added a Cloud-9 comfort seat, and the FatRunner fenders. The bike is very robust and weighs in just under 35 pounds.

I ride twice around our large block (~ 1 mile each lap) and once off-road around the dry holding pond (0.6 mile around). It's a good aerobic workout. I have dropped a few pounds since I started riding and have noticed that my food intake has diminished.

I've put a 2" hitch on my car and have ordered a Thule T2 Classic Platform Carrier which is made for all bikes including fat bikes. As I build up strength and endurance, I would like to visit the state parks that have bike trails.
http://www.motostrano.com/Motorcycle-Closeouts-s/3034.htm
SE F@E with Fat Runners.jpg

Back
Top Bottom