• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a press for 9mm/45acp/44mag/5.56/.308/.50 beowulf

womsterr

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   0
Reaction score
I think I'm looking for a Dillion 650 press but wonder if it will handle all those calibers? I really don't know squat about reloading yet.

Is there another setup that you might recommend?

Can you also recommend a good tutorial?

Lee classic turret press would handle those calibers. Starting into loading with a progressive press like the 650 would be a handful and wouldn't be recommended. Get a couple of loading manuals and read them through. I would start with .45acp and learn the basics on an easy to load cartridge before diving in with the others. Lots of differences between reloading for rifle and pistol. There's lots of good videos on youtube but remember that there can be idiots with video cameras so read the books first.

Very good advice given above. The Lee isn't very expensive, and you can always use it in the future even if you decide you want a progressive later on. I'm to anal to use a progressive press for my handgun loads, I couldn't imagine me loading precision rifle using a progressive. A Lee Classic Turret is a fine press. I've had a lot of presses, and the Lee press used with the auto indexing feature removed is my all around favorite. I load for so many calibers, different bullets in these same calibers, and vary so many aspects of my loads that I just can't be satisfied with any progressive. If you find loads that you like and want to load several hundred or thousands at a time of that load, then they are great, but I ain't one of those people. I also insist on doing case prep that isn't feasible to do using a progressive in a progressive manner. Progressive or not, the need for a second none progressive will be there if you load for more than one or two calibers, and in short runs. You can get your feet wet and learn the basics well, on a good single stage or the Lee Turret that will serve you for a lifetime.

You might want to look into a Dillon RL550B, it can be used as a single stage. Even though it is a progressive press, it is indexed manually so it can be used like a single, turret, or progressive press. I do believe that the XL650 is fully automatic indexing so it is "full time" progressive.

I know there are some people don't like progressive. I used to be one of those folks. I got to where I was shooting a lot of 9mm, .40, and .45 so I thought I might just try a progressive. I bought a LEE progressive and for the first time ever, I had some squib loads so I got rid of it. My friend who owns Sporting Arms in Winterville suggested that I try Dillon, so I did, and I absolutely love the thing. I can go as slow as I want or as fast as it will go and I have never had a problem loading hand gun cartridges on it.

I still have a Single stage LEE press and I use it for all rifle and some larger bore hand gun cartridges (.44 and .45 Colt). The only problem that I find with the Dillon is that the caliber change kits are kind of expensive and if you use Dillon brand dies, they are very expensive. I do think that you would be happy with a 550.

The Lee Classic Turret is not able to handle .50bmg. Well, according to Lee it could handle it (based on strength and case length), but they don't offer a turret ring threaded for 1 1/4" dies. So unless you have a killer machine shop and can fab a new turret ring for .50bmg dies you will be SOL. Not sure about the other mentioned but I thought I would bring that up.

The Lee Classic Cast single stage press does have a removable insert to allow for 1 1/4" dies but it is not a turret press. Still, it is fairly cheap and as a dedicated press for .50 it wouldnt be a bad buy I dont think.

The Lee Classic Turret is not able to handle .50bmg. Well, according to Lee it could handle it (based on strength and case length), but they don't offer a turret ring threaded for 1 1/4" dies. So unless you have a killer machine shop and can fab a new turret ring for .50bmg dies you will be SOL. Not sure about the other mentioned but I thought I would bring that up.

The Lee Classic Cast single stage press does have a removable insert to allow for 1 1/4" dies but it is not a turret press. Still, it is fairly cheap and as a dedicated press for .50 it wouldnt be a bad buy I dont think.

Reading is fundamental, 50 Beowulf and 50 BMG are not the same.

Started with a Lee single stage. Moved up to a Lee Turret. Moved to a smaller home and didn't have the spare space for a bench press. I now use a Lee hand press that I got for like $25.00. Awesome press. Very compact, and cranks out loads quickly enough for my purposes. Any of the above will handle the cartridges you plan to reload with ease.

Back
Top Bottom