• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a quasi legal answer:

Well, I am anti-HOA, but it would look better if you trimmed them to match the others.

If I found it in the rules, I’d probably pay it, trim the shrubs, & hold the board members to every dotted “i” & crossed “t” in the regulations.

If it’s not in the rules, then I’d still trim them, but I’d notify them that it’s not in the regs & that I wouldn’t be paying.

At this point though, since they are attempting to fine you, you need to document everything with photos, return receipt mail, etc.

Some quick google-fu and I see nothing about shrubs anywhere in your regs. I would ask them the specific article and reference. If they can't provide it, get a restraining order for them to stay 100 ft away from your property for harassment. Then if they drive/walk by; call the appropriate people.

Firstly, I would try to keep a cool, calm demeanor in the forthcoming communications with the HOA; these Kens and Karens are already on a power trip and there is no benefit, other than your personal enjoyment, to tell them where they can shove their notice of non-compliance. It sounds as though you have no prior knowledge of non-compliance with regard to the height of your bushes, which should make your current notice of non-compliance the first notice. Ask for them to produce proof of delivery for the prior notice(s) of non-compliance that were allegedly issued to you. Additionally, if you do not have a current copy of the HOA covenants, get one, and attempt to verify their claim of the "half the window height" requirement. If they are unable to produce the prior non-compliance notices and there are no specified height requirements for shrubs to be half the window height (ie maybe it only says shrubs must be pruned and properly maintained - to quote their letter), then I would politely request that they remove the $25 fine assessed to your account and tell them that you are glad to comply with all HOA rules regarding shrub height as long as that height is expressly stated in the HOA covenant rules, but until that height is expressly stated, you will continue to keep your bushes pruned and properly maintained, as they have been since your ownership of the house began. If they persist after that point, you can tell them that you will no longer be communicating with them and that your lawyer will be in touch with them shortly. Even though its only $25, its the principle of the matter that would grind my gears. Hoping for a resolution in your favor.

Unless they sent previous notifications via Certified Mail with return receipt they have no proof you received previous warnings. Ask for proof of delivery. If they don't have it, trim the bushes and tell them to eat the fine.

Some quick google-fu and I see nothing about shrubs anywhere in your regs. I would ask them the specific article and reference. If they can't provide it, get a restraining order for them to stay 100 ft away from your property for harassment. Then if they drive/walk by; call the appropriate people.

Yes, I didnt see specified description of shrub height, regulations etc.

What’s the best way to tell my HOA to ‘f&ck off‘ and get out of this stupid fine? I‘ve never seen this stupid half-height requirement before. My shrubs have been about that height for 6 years.

View attachment 5442138
This letter is to take your mind off the hoa members that are robbing you blind,an old dem trick that's been used for years.

Back
Top Bottom