• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a Vet tech for a turtle

Camper292000

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
OK so my daughter's turtle of 4 years has an ear abcess. I've watched some youtube videos and if I 'had to' I could do the surgery, but I'm not feeling up to it right now.

I called the Vet we took her to once and of course exam and all the stuff looking at about $200. Really? For a $20. turtle?

So my daughter would be crushed if something happened to this turtle.....but.... is there any Vet person on here that could help? I think we're catching this early as the turtle is still active and eating. Poor girl just has this huge bulge on the side of her head.

Not THE turtle but looks just like this.

Attachments

• abcess.jpg
    abcess.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 59
What youre asking is not wise.
I would just replace the turtle and tell her you took it to the vet.

That's what I was thinking.
Even have her put a little finger nail polish before the turtle leaves and when you get the replacement, put a little polish on it.

You have to watch those little people they can be very observant.

It ain't lying no more than Santa and the Easter Bunny

An important part of having and keeping pets is to teach our children about the "circle of life". Pets die. It's a fact of life. I love my daughter but am not spending $200 to take a turtle to the vet. Kids are resilient and, instead of protecting her from this experience, start thinking about how to teach her about the process of life and death and the inevitable sting of loss.

Last edited:
good point hoss. Just depends on age. I wouldnt try to teach a 4 year old the value of a dollar but the circle of life is always easy. Lion king

good point hoss. Just depends on age. I wouldnt try to teach a 4 year old the value of a dollar but the circle of life is always easy. Lion king
Truth. I think that a lot of parents today protect their children from "life". We have a few farm animals and my 4yr old has already had to learn that even the cutest of them can and will perish. We bought her a pygmy goat last year. It was tiny and she loved it and cared for it. For some unknown reason, it died after a week. She was sad and helped to bury it. It gave me the opportunity to explain it to her while giving her the chance to experience the emotions that make us who we are. She was sad and it broke my heart but it made her stronger for it.

Last edited:
Its cruel to hide it in my opinion. Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Sorry about your goat

Back
Top Bottom