Need advice on Zeroing a Ruger Blackhawk

Like Badger touched on, the best way I've found is to squeeze slowly and not really think about when it's going to break. It should be a surpise to you when it goes off. If it's not a surprise then you are anticipating it and may be flinching. Try squeezing REALLY slow at first, preferably from a bench. Just focus on keeping the sights aligned and slowly add more and more pressure to the trigger.

Last edited:
Old military technique...BRASS (Breathe in normally let about half out and squeeze trigger,
Relax let shoulder loosen up, elbow straight but not locked,
Aim..point muzzle at target,
Sight..line up sights,
Squeeze, with PAD of your finger (middle of first joint), start a straight constant pressure on the trigger, when the round actually fires it should bit of a surprise. When this happens you're doing it right.

I have to agree with Badger, with that said, get some sandbags to really anchor the gun down on and give it a try. The biggest thing is making the trigger a "surpise break". You know its coming, just not EXACTLY when.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts. I guess no one has experienced this with heavy recoiling handguns. Like I said before, my problem is flinching for the recoil for the 2nd or 3rd shot. The first shot's fine, I know how to breath, etc. It's just with big bore guns, there's got to be an easier way to zero. There is a recoil fatigue there. I guess you could stick it on a gun rest like you do for a rifle.

Thanks for the posts. I guess no one has experienced this with heavy recoiling handguns. Like I said before, my problem is flinching for the recoil for the 2nd or 3rd shot. The first shot's fine, I know how to breath, etc. It's just with big bore guns, there's got to be an easier way to zero. There is a recoil fatigue there. I guess you could stick it on a gun rest like you do for a rifle.

See my earlier post. The drills specifically deal with flinching/jerking and learning to live with recoil.

The recoil is causing your brain to guide your actions to counteract the recoil from anticipation. You need to work on executing good trigger pulls and getting your body used to the recoil. With a .41 Mag it should take you at least a hundred to two hundred rounds before you start to have issues from fatigue.

Thanks for the posts. I guess no one has experienced this with heavy recoiling handguns. Like I said before, my problem is flinching for the recoil for the 2nd or 3rd shot. The first shot's fine, I know how to breath, etc. It's just with big bore guns, there's got to be an easier way to zero. There is a recoil fatigue there. I guess you could stick it on a gun rest like you do for a rifle

I shoot 41 and 44 magnum and 45 colt and 45 auto 4 and six inch bbl all the time with one and two hand grip holds and I don't have a recoil issue because I do just what I said in the post.We all had issues like that when we started out with big bores but we listened, learned, practiced and overcame.... trust and old man who's been shooting for about 56 yrs and taught LEO's for more than twenty..the principles work if YOU work at them and allow them to.
You can't fight recoil, you have to learn to flow with it and let work for you.

Not recommended but way back when at PI the DI sat in front of the recruit who was in a sitting position. Every time he flinched/bucked he got a boot to the crotch. The recruit qualified!

Apologize for the "sea stories."

lots of good advice...dry fire 30-45 mins a day at heads on t.v. then go to range and shoot with GUN (not hand) supported on sand bags concentrating not on target but trigger press once sights are lined up. about 2.5k rounds oughta fix ya right up. the weapons "zero" is not the problem here.

Back
Top Bottom