• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need critical assessment of new 9mm cast reloads (10 sot groups)

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Afternoon fellers. Just got home from trying out some new cast 9mm reloads i've been working on the last couple of days. I had already cast for 45 but needed a cheap way to feed this new 995 Hipoint carbine. I forgot to take my chrono but based purely on recoil impulse, i think they are pretty close as far as velocity goes. Did a quick take on my barrel and had no signs of leading. Everyone one of them feed, everyone of them went bang. No setback on the last couple of rounds in each mag. Everything functioned perfectly, just not real happy with these groups. Could be shooter error b/c honestly, i was completely tickled just to put all 30 rounds on paper. Just hoping maybe some of you guys could pick up something i'm missing and close these groups up. Thanks in advance. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcomed.
This is how my 1st attempt at a 6 mold came out.
j pics 3 234.jpgj pics 3 236.jpg

all 3 groups were shot onto 1 target so i overlayed the target to mark each individual group. the crosshair in each pic is the original point of aim. it is circled with a quarter to give some reference as to distance. all shots from exactly 100 yrds.
j pics 3 233.jpgj pics 3 239.jpg

Is that pure lead? Well weights make a harder bullet which will grip the rifling better. If they are pure lead or low antimony the bullets plow through the rifling making for poor accuracy.

I think the group is pretty darn good from 100 yards with lead, no scope?, no rest.

I had a Marlin Camp 9 and found it shot well out to 100 yards with heavy bullets and slow pistol powder.

The Hi Point was designed more for "spraying and praying" than long distance aiming.

I would try a rest, and maybe try Unique, Blue Dot, or HS-6 as a powder. There are a lot of powders from which to choose.

If accuracy is the main odjective, you may benifit from lighter loads when using lead--800fps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom