• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help figuring scope ring height for Savage FV-SR (maybe)

Your doing pretty good hitting the silhouette if it's not even in the scope when you shoot. Don't guess you could take that branch with you to aim at when you go to shoot somewhere else
Bahaha! Nah, I don’t think the gun club will let me cut the branch off and take it with me.

I can SEE the silhouette target with the scope set on 4x but it’s out of the mil-dots.

This illustration sucks, but you’ll see what I mean. The tree branch is green and the silhouette is the red spot.

FEC154FB-B9DE-4F87-A2F2-F228E682C4F1.jpeg

Bahaha! Nah, I don’t think the gun club will let me cut the branch off and take it with me.

I can SEE the silhouette target with the scope set on 4x but it’s out of the mil-dots.

This illustration sucks, but you’ll see what I mean. The tree branch is green and the silhouette is the red spot.

View attachment 1540579

Aww, I see what you mean now. I was thinking you would find then track straight up

Aww, I see what you mean now. I was thinking you would find then track straight up
My scope actually has 6 mildots in each direction from the cross hair, but doesn’t have enough adjustment to let me zero the top mildot at 50 yards. That’s where the 20 MOA mount comes in. It will allow me to do that.

Then the 400 yard target should be in range of my lower mildots and I can tell exactly where to hold to hit the 6” target.

No tree branch needed!

:pound:

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Anyways, if you already have good sight alignment, I wouldn't mess with the ring height. It's not absurdly high or anything. May look at upgrading your scope to one with more elevation adjustment. Farthest I've gone with a 22 is 400 at Chief's place. Had to max out elevation and then still hold a few mils. Had no clue if I was hitting the heavy steel while shooting, but walked down there and saw the faint marks on the plate. I only shoot standard velocity loads. Supers have a hard time when they go transonic.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Anyways, if you already have good sight alignment, I wouldn't mess with the ring height. It's not absurdly high or anything. May look at upgrading your scope to one with more elevation adjustment. Farthest I've gone with a 22 is 400 at Chief's place. Had to max out elevation and then still hold a few mils. Had no clue if I was hitting the heavy steel while shooting, but walked down there and saw the faint marks on the plate. I only shoot standard velocity loads. Supers have a hard time when they go transonic.
I’m using CCI Standard Velocity and shooting suppressed and I can actually hear when I get a hit on the steel.

It seriously takes 2+ seconds from the time I pull the trigger until I hear the steel ring because of how slow the bullet is moving and the distance that the sound has to travel back to me. LOL

So guys I’ve been reading online but can’t figure out how scope ring heights are measured.

These rings are for a 1” tube.

They measure 1/2” from the bottom of the scope tube to the bottom of the mount.

71CD2F29-BE45-4E43-AA10-2BA5EF45666D.jpeg

Would they be considered .50 rings or do you have to add half of the 1” tube size to get the ring height?

.50 + .50 = 1.00 ?

So guys I’ve been reading online but can’t figure out how scope ring heights are measured.

These rings are for a 1” tube.

They measure 1/2” from the bottom of the scope tube to the bottom of the mount.

View attachment 1540716

Would they be considered .50 rings or do you have to add half of the 1” tube size to get the ring height?

.50 + .50 = 1.00 ?
Link

My scope is so low that the lense cover doesn't fit over the objective lense. 50mm objective just clears, though.

But it sounds like what you have is working fine. Why bother?

Oh, and I have a little trick to eliminate trigger over-travel with aftermarket springs...

image (61).jpeg

Back
Top Bottom