• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help w/ Legality on 80% AR15 Lower Receivers

Billy9

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
11   1
Reaction score
I have built a couple 80% AR lowers and they are actually made very very well and I think they would compete with some of the nicer made lowers out there. I put a company name on it along with a serial number and the caliber. I know everything Ive done so far is within the law so heres my legal questions.

If I wanted to sell it would I be able to do so legally. If so do I need a ffl to do the transfer since in PA a ffl isnt needed for rifle/shotgun transfers between citizens of PA?

also please add any other info you may have but i ask just one big favor. if your giving me "facts" please make sure they are indeed facts and not just what you think or heard because I need to know the absolute truth here.

thanks, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

my name, id imagine it would be a serious issue to use a real companies name. do you know if i am allowed to sell/transfer it to someone else? I dont plan on it but im curious as to the legality on selling a finished 80%. I have 10 of them with only 2 finished and i plan to keep em all but i woukd like to know if i coukd sell if i wanted to, thanks guys!!

and when i say company its not meant as me saying im a company. if i was then i would be in the business and not need to mess with 80%. I put a name on it that I made up as my own fake "company"

Last edited:
If you are not a ffl you.cannot manufacture firearms for resell. Good thing they are nice because I'm fairly certain you own them forever.

The law says you can not make them with the intent to sell them. It is private property, and not contraband in many states. It is no different than selling a chain saw or a hammer, and a serial number is not needed on a home made gun.

If you go to any gov't agency to ask permission on this (or anything else, for that matter) you know what the answer will be.

Research it for yourself as per the laws in force today, and in your home state.

I was pretty sure selling was illegal but just figured id ask cause its been 8 yrs since i did that type of research which was minimal at best in that one aspect of 80% lowers. As far as a serial number and again im going on back 8yrs ago with this but I had heard alot from what i thought and believe are/were well informed guys and they said a serial number was needed. thanks for your post im gonna try more to get the exact true details its just been a little tough right now,

The law says you can not make them with the intent to sell them. It is private property, and not contraband in many states. It is no different than selling a chain saw or a hammer, and a serial number is not needed on a home made gun.

If you go to any gov't agency to ask permission on this (or anything else, for that matter) you know what the answer will be.

Research it for yourself as per the laws in force today, and in your home state.

I'm pretty sure an FFL will be needed since AR lowers can be made into pistols.

not sure what you mean, are you saying a ffl for selling or for building them from a 80% complete ar lower. if you mean building thete is no ffl needed and it is sent directly to your house or wherever. you just have to do the 20% work to finish it and u cant hire someone to do it. im not sure how it would go with the pistol part, thats a damn good topic to look into, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom