• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need input on an HD AR build

Delete

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
So I have an AR w/ typical 16 in barrel and 1/9 twist A3 flat top. Currently is in typical mil spec plastic hand guards.
Really looking to turn it into a primo HD gun. Struggling at this point and hoping to get advice/insight as to pros and cons of different free float rails.
I need to keep it versatile enough that my 5'2" wife could use it.
Since this is an HD gun, I know myself well enough to know I'm GONNA have to have the option to mount a light on it.
I like the look and feel of the sleeker rails that only have a picatinny rail on top like the YHM Diamond series, but I don't want to limit options on where to stick stuff.
Insight and suggestions appreciated!

Home defense should be KISS'ish, imo... flashlight and maybe a simple dot/holo sight. In a HD situation, you're not going to have time to think about all the bells and whistles.

Mine = Troy rail with front sight post cut-out. Great for a carbine with a front a-frame to give you a little more real estate out front. Trijicon front sight post, surefire light out front. Wife doesn't have to think about it, I don't have to think about it. (14.5" upper)
2014-02-05

and,
The one I built for my brother - VLTOR CASV-EL, pretty awesome for "drop in" install and options - he runs a light now. Optic = Trijicon Reflex. I like the trijicon reflex for it simplicity. His is the large chevron reticle. FYI - this is the step down version of the CASV, to accommodate an EOTech optic, or to run complete co-witness with the Reflex (or similar).
2013-07-31

If I wanted to run an optic on my HD gun, it would be a PRO.. so its just on.

My .02

Last edited:
Geissele mk4 keymod rail, non keymod version on my 300 blackout would work as well but I swapped it for the keymod version. Very light, fit and function are top notch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
Thx guys.

Looks like most of you are using longer rails?

Might as well, unless its some God awful heavy real.. which you'd almost have to search for these days.
My brothers CASV works just as good with a side/angle mounted surefire traditional tail switch light.

Last edited:
Here's my HD AR. I've run it in classes and matches and am now to the point where I know it works perfectly under any condition I've called on it for and am going to relegate it to safe/HD use only and then build a clone of it for training/beating.

Base Rifle: Daniel Defense MK18 SBR, 10.3" barrel with 9.5" railed handguard. Short, light, and easy to maneuver inside, 10.3" barrel shortest possible to still allow use of carbine gas and suppressor.

Sights: Aimpoint T-1 primary. Left turned on always, even when in the safe. I ran the battery to failure, which happened at 3.5 years. Henceforth, I will change it every New Year's day. Knights Armament folding front and Matech folding rear backup iron sights. Even with the battery life and durability of the Aimpoint, anything can fail, so the irons are there.

Light: Surefire X300 Ultra mounted at 12 o'clock. Weapons grade light with high lumen output, compact package. 12 o'clock position allows for ambidextrous activation of the light.

Sling: Arguable necessity on a purely HD rifle, but if you need your hands free for grabbing children, doorknobs, phone, etc. it would be a good idea not to have to put down your rifle. I've used a few different slings over my 12 years training with the AR and found the VCAS by Blue Force Gear to be the best. Bottom line, an adjustable 2-point sling is preferable over a single point or three point for controlling the weapon while slung and preventing snagging on anything and everything.

Suppressor: ARs are LOUD! They're even louder when they have a short barrel. I'd prefer not to deafen myself so I can still communicate with my family and/or hear other threats I might not see. Situational awareness. I'm using an AAC M4-2000. I feel it's the best balance of weight, length, performance, and price currently on the market for a 5.56 can.

You may not choose to use any NFA components (SBR, suppressor) on your HD rifle and that's also understandable. I would advise you, though, to stay away from things like muzzle brakes that make an already loud rifle even louder. The noise and concussion from such devices in an enclosed space can be not only deafening, but disorienting as well. Wanna see? Go to an indoor range and stand next to a guy firing a Braked AR or AK.

Hope this is helpful.

i854.photobucket.com_albums_ab104_ASH556_IMG_6600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom