• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need motivation

Same here, but I'm older than you. I took my truck to get the transmission serviced and they wanted @ 83% more than a few months ago. I told them I'd do it myself. Haven't done it yet though. I just got through with a lot of other mechanic work over the last few months. I'll spend @ $100 in parts and save @ $175 for a couple hours work. I have all the tools I need and a place indoors to work

If you don't have **** else to do, why not? Beats sitting around doing nothing
He’s Gen X which means he’s busting butt all week to pay the bills and doesn’t want to waste his precious time off working on a car.

Whereas us Boomers would just say we didn’t need cars cause we walked everywhere, uphill both ways, in the snow and rain and then go into a long story about how we would carve a water pump out of a piece of hickory if we needed one.

Loss of testosterone as you get older makes you less motivated to do anything. If I make myself get started on something, I’m damned and determined to finish it. It’s getting started that’s the trick. I just finished this major raised garden bed project. It was very rewarding to put up the last piece of wood. (18
IMG_5629.jpeg
beds)

He’s Gen X which means he’s busting butt all week to pay the bills and doesn’t want to waste his precious time off working on a car.
This, I used to would have knocked it out and everything else I have going on. Not so much now, especially this Fall.

How do you guys motivate yourself to do decent sized complex projects on your off time? I need a trick, gimmick, whatever it is to get myself started and actually complete the task. I'm 51, handy to the extreme, but getting less motivated everyday. The task I've been avoiding is installing a new water pump in my daughter's Ford Edge. It is a major PITA and will take all weekend and possibly longer, and I do not look forward to the back strain I know is coming. I know, just man up and do it, right?? I'm procrastinating hard here.
i’m 67 and a slow learner but choose your battles!

Loss of testosterone as you get older makes you less motivated to do anything. If I make myself get started on something, I’m damned and determined to finish it. It’s getting started that’s the trick. I just finished this major raised garden bed project. It was very rewarding to put up the last piece of wood.
I've been on test since 38, keep it between 500-600.

This,

Whereas us Boomers would just say we didn’t need cars cause we walked everywhere, uphill both ways, in the snow and rain and then go into a long story about how we would carve a water pump out of a piece of hickory if we needed one.
This....I'm gen x and after doing construction work all day; I don't even want to mow the grass.

Back
Top Bottom