• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Scope Mounting

Scope mounting is a little art mixed with a little science. I learned the first time from Larry Potterfield on youtube, the second time from Shep, the third time from Ryan Cleckner. Now I sorta blend all the methods and as long as it comes out reasonably well, let it ride. A plumb on a string will get your reticle level, buy not necessarily level with the gun. The levels on everything get it close, but even they have their limits. The deck of cards between the bottom of the scope and the top of the mount is also helpful, but again, is not fool-proof. I like to shoot the box and see just how level the reticle is, but there again, it's not guaranteed.

I'd venture to say there is no perfect method or perfect mounting, and if there was, it would be $$ to the point most of us couldn't afford it.

Scientific fact vs. ego ideology. I am not going to argue about stuff a mechanical ape could complete. Then walk around with my chest poked because I got the spoon to me mouth finally. I usually don't criticize or bad mouth anyone just to be a gentleman and respectful but I'm n this case someone needs to grow up.

Scientific fact vs. ego ideology. I am not going to argue about stuff a mechanical ape could complete. Then walk around with my chest poked because I got the spoon to me mouth finally. I usually don't criticize or bad mouth anyone just to be a gentleman and respectful but I'm n this case someone needs to grow up.
You are going to need some expanding on your thought process here because, as usual, you are making zero sense

What BigMike said vr. One man's method or another man's.
There are multiple methods. Like I mentioned. The level on the turret is not a good one. For reasons that I mentioned. There is also another method that works well, but it'll be over your head. It does work well when working in something like a hotel room at night where a plumb line 50 yards out isn't plausible, but it will take some getting used to and is not the easiest. But it works well. It involves a plumb line behind your rifle, lights off and a flashlight.

I read this whole thread and nobody explained the process. So I am supposed to sit back and listen to guys give numbers to other sources and still no one gave the guy an answers. They just sit back and list ring and mount options and knock everyone else and talk about lapping rings. I am suppose to sit and learn what? I didn't see or hear one person explain how to do it but me offer a couple ways to do it himself that will get it close enough to do a track test. To OP you can build a house with a level but don't dare try and level a scope. The plumb bob is the best way but that still doesn't level the rifle.

I read this whole thread and nobody explained the process. So I am supposed to sit back and listen to guys give numbers to other sources and still no one gave the guy an answers. They just sit back and list ring and mount options and knock everyone else and talk about lapping rings. I am suppose to sit and learn what? I didn't see or hear one person explain how to do it but me offer a couple ways to do it himself that will get it close enough to do a track test. To OP you can build a house with a level but don't dare try and level a scope. The plumb bob is the best way but that still doesn't level the rifle.

Why don’t you post some instead of whining?!?!

I’m just kidding man…here you go.

Since still dense and not actually comprehending anything, I will say it again. You don't level a scope off the turret with a level because they are rarely level to the reticle. Hope it sticks this time.

Multiple ways to level your rifle and it depends on what type of rifle you have. You want the action level. Whether that is leveling off the bolt raceways, scope rail, top of the receiver or even the bottom half of your rings/mount, it can all vary. Lock the rifle in with sand bags, locking bipod, shooting rest, vice, tripod, etc. I use a tripod mostly these days. It's easy, fast, gives fine adjustments, and locks in solid, all while I can stand to mount everything up and walk around the rifle if needed. Easy to get the scope on a plumb line as well. Ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom