• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Scope Mounting

I like my scopes mounted low. Been doing it that for over 30 years, it’s always worked for ME, and I see no reason to change it just to use a different type of mount. For rifles with no adjustable cheek piece, scope height over bore is critical to being able to shoot accurately.

Wait, WHUT??? No See-Thru Rings for you??? But they's goot enuf fer ma' Daddy an' Grandaddy ta' kills DOZENS o' Deers wit'...

Go to Harbor Freight buy two small levels. Ok now sit one on top of the elevation turrert one on the rifle. I usually sit my gun in my Led Sled and strap it in. Then put the level on the rifle and position it to level. On AR15's it easy because the picatinny rail on top is flat. Once the rifle is level leave the level there. Then sit a smaller level on the elevation turret. Then set your eye relief ( you don't need a level for this ). Once eye relief is set, sit the level on elevation turret. Then begin the tightening process rechecking the level after every couple turns of screws. Sometimes tightening can pull the scope in one direction or another. Just make sure both bubbles stay centered until scope rings are cinched down. If it's not a AR there is usually a flat place somewhere to level the rifle. If you don't have a led sled place but stock in a vise with a rag cradled around the stock to be sure the stock is not marred. That can keep you rifle from moving. Don't tighten the vise just use it as a pocket to cradle the rifle. Those are just two ways I use to mount a scope level. Don't be afraid to try. It's just a scope. Be extra careful not to over torque the screws they are not made crank down like concrete screws.

Another method if you can get the rifle level is to put a piece of tape on the wall and use a carpenters level to level the tape. Make tape 1 to 2 feet long. You can make a cross level as well to line the cross hairs with. You need to be able to get a good distance away to keep the image from blurring.

There is many different ways to get it done. I respect CMshoot's knowledge enough that I won't get into a methodology war. That is a battle of Ego's and does no one any good or help out the member wanting help or either CM or myself offering advise. Humility is the best response to that post. I don't think either one of us has to prove ourselves. He may feel differently but that his business.

Back
Top Bottom