• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need SKS firing pin help

jloneill17

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
It was a sum ***** to get out. had to use needle nose to get it out. I cleaned the heck out of it along with assembly and ejector. I'm putting it back in the way it came out but it is still hard as hell. Every video I see, they just slide in and out easily. Any ideas why mine is so hard to get back in? I can't even get it in by hand, have to use a punch and a hammer. I know that's not normal. All advice is appreciated. thanks

firing pin 001.jpgfiring pin 004.jpgfiring pin 003.jpg

John

Last edited:
It really sounds like you did not drive out the retaining pin. the pin drives out only one way and it keeps the extractor in place as well as the firing pin. Usually when this retaining pin is driven out, the firing pin just drops out. If you did not drive out the pin and pulled it out with a needle nose, you may have damaged the retaining pin or the firing pin.
It sounds like the pin is still in place if you can't get the firing pin back in without a hammer.

If not the above, check:

the firing pin channel should be completely open and unobstructed. The firing pin must go in with the right side up to get the pin back in place.

If the channel is open, check the firing pin to see if it's bent. Make sure you are not putting it in backwards. (you probably know this but I would be remiss not to mention it.

Can you post pics of the bolt and firing pin? both sides and face of the bolt?

Last edited:
pic on left...this is where you punch out the pin...it only goes one way...
the right side is other side of the pin with a flange on it that holds the extractor/spring in place.

sks011a.jpg1a.jpg

If you can post some good pics that will help a bunch.

Last edited:
After closer inspection last night, it looks like the firing pin is twisted very slightly and is causing it to not slide back in correctly. Gonna order a new firing pin, hopefully that will fix this problem.

oh, I haven't shot it yet and nor would I. I am sending the bolt to a smith who does a lot of sks work to go through the bolt and replace the firing pin.

Back
Top Bottom