• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Some advice

mitch9

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Was wondering what your opinion was about what kind of lever action gun to get for more of a self defense gun. Just looking for something to carry while walking on the property. Bonus points for something rugged and all weather.

Thanks for y'alls help

That's a wide open question. First off, if your doing a lot of walking you probably would want a light weight gun. The lever is going to weigh in at @7lbs, the shotgun probably a little heavier. That said, I'd probably pick the 44mag or 45Colt in lever. The shot gun isn't a bad idea either. But a AR platform takes the weight down @6lbs. You carry that gun all day, 1lb makes a lot of difference. I have a sporterized Mauser in 308 with scope that weighs @6lbs and holds 6rds. It shoots one hole groups at 100yds. A pistol is not a bad idea either. You can get a full size air weight in the 20 some oz. category. The first round is a shot shell for snakes, it comes in handy. That's what I carry on the farm

If it’s going to be a lever rifle then as mentioned the marlin stainless in 357 would be nice but a full size revolver 357 in a holster frees you up to do stuff while you are out and about. Carrying a long gun all the time would get old

A lever action Marlin or Henry in .38/.357
or .44 mag / .44 spl, or .45 [long] Colt would be my choice for an all-around utility liver action rifle that is good for self-defense but also a legitimate hunting gun for the woods.

Ideally it would be a model with a 16" or 18 inch barrel, ghost ring rear sight and a high vizability front sight with a fiber optic insert, and a large lever loop.

But I'm not sure I would pay hundreds of dollars extra to get such a tactically-minded carbine version rather than the standard 20 inch barrel models.

Back
Top Bottom