• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME EXPERTISE ON FACTORY CRIMPING

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
So here it is boys, I reloaded about 50 .223 shells and I decided that this time I would try the Lee Factory crimp die on these. One thing that stands out and is bothering me quite a bit is it looks like there is four little raised areas where's the crimp die squeezes together. Other than just looking like T total crap I'm wondering are these going to be a problem in the chamber. Cuz the neck looks really deformed and it's funky. What's the deal on that situation should I just discard those as a learning curve or what is the best way to deal with that. I don't normally crimp so it was just a give it a whirl type deal and see how it came out. I appreciate any info you guys have.
Thank for any advise you can provide
Greg

Your die is set to deeply. those crimp lines should be barely perceptible.
Without seeing them, what you are describing is that your die is set too deep. Screw it down until is touches the case mouth, then move the round. Screw the die down in increments of 1/8 turn, crimp, then repeat until it looks right.

I use a LFCD and you should barely be able to see the crimp from the die collet.
I agree however, if you look down inside the die there is simply no point when the four sections meet. No matter how you adjust it there is always the 4 gaps in between the four sections. I just believe it's a inferior die. A lot of Lee things are decent but there is a whole lot more that isn't worth a darn. The press is perfect for single cartridge loadng, the collars for the dies are acceptable and the LEE 6.8 sizing/deprimer die is fine but the seating die for 6.8 is Hornady. I do use Hornady sets for the others . The powder throw is OK but not exceptional. The crimping die is freaking trash. Pretty much everything else is Hornady, Frankfort Arsenal and RCBS. Those are parts that were slow and Combersom and came with the LEE combination set.

Back
Top Bottom