• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help..308

rl15, imr 4064, imr 4895, varget, cfe 223, mr 2000, imr 8028 xbr. also, if shooting past 600 or so, go up to 175's or down to 155's. 168's dont transonic well.

varget is my go to powder for my .308 - I have gotten such outstanding results in both of my .308 rifles so far that I am actually yet to find a need to mess with any others. Of course, depending on your application, you may want to something more precise. For me, sub 1" groups at 100 yards is sufficient for general plinking and hunting for me.

There are many good ones. I would get one that meters well and one that can also be used in other calibers like 223. Ball powder (CFE223, BL-C(2)) meters best. Extruded powders (Varget, IMR 4895, Hodgdon 4895).

Wolf Large Rifle primers will work.

Franklins in Athens has all their Wolf primers on sale for $25.00 per 1000. They have small rifle, large rifle, small pistol, large pistol, but no magnums. Today I purchased two thousand small rifle and one thousand small pistol. They also have powder priced $22.00 lb. Buying from them is cheaper than paying that $27.00 hazmat fee when you order

Last edited:
No two rifles, barrels, shooters, etc the same. The .308 is easy to feed. Your rifle shouldn't be an exception, but it'll take a couple of good manuals, powders, bullets and range time to find what's best in yours.

I am in the process of ladder testing .308 for a good load for my Ruger American Rifle. I have tested 168 grain bullets using Varget and CFE-223. I was not terribly happy with that test. I have now loaded up some 150 grain bullets with CFE-223 and Winchester 748. Hope to get to the range next Wednesday (off day) to test them.

Back
Top Bottom