• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some help with a gun for my dad.

GaMudd

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
G44L
28   0
Reaction score
My dad's neighborhood is changing (think Clint Eastwood/Gran Torino), and he has decided he wants a gun. He's ex-military, so he is not unfamiliar with them, but hasn't had one in years (he's 82). So far I have gotten him a Keltec PF9 and a nine shot Taurus 22 revolver. Due to significant arthritis, he can work the slide on the Keltec and the DA trigger on the revolver is a little too much for him. Can anybody recommend a light trigger pistol for him? He would prefer a 22 or 38 revolver. If I can't find a pistol, I thought maybe I could find him a youth model pump shotgun in 20 gauge or 410. Does anybody else has experience with this situation?

My "Old Man Gun" is a Beretta 21A in .22LR. My dad carried one for the last 10 years of his life until he passed away at 91. It was all he could shoot and manipulate because of arthritis. I have one for when I get old.

Had a similar situation with an elder friend and we found the Walther pk380 worked well for them. The slide is light and it's DA/SA with the SA still being relatively light.

We've had pretty good success w/ some students who have moderate cases of arthritis using the Ruger LCR due to its lighter trigger system & large rubber Hogue grips.
If you have the chance to, let him dryfire one at a gunstore a few times to see if it would work for him.
If you can find a range that will rent one to practice with keep the shooting session short w/ a few breaks between each group of shots.

The LCR trigger is considerably lighter than the S&W j-frames although the new S&W Bodyguard .38 does have a better trigger.... the grip doesn't absorb as much recoil as the Ruger however.

I have a class this morning where one of the Ladies who is in her 60's has a moderate case & the LCR seems to be working for her.

We've had pretty good success w/ some students who have moderate cases of arthritis using the Ruger LCR due to its lighter trigger system & large rubber Hogue grips.
If you have the chance to, let him dryfire one at a gunstore a few times to see if it would work for him.
If you can find a range that will rent one to practice with keep the shooting session short w/ a few breaks between each group of shots.

The LCR trigger is considerably lighter than the S&W j-frames although the new S&W Bodyguard .38 does have a better trigger.... the grip doesn't absorb as much recoil as the Ruger however.

I have a class this morning where one of the Ladies who is in her 60's has a moderate case & the LCR seems to be working for her.

If he can't operate the LCR then I'm not aware of a better trigger on a stock revolver. Most Smiths will "tune" the trigger and reduce its pull weight. Just get a good smith if needed. Any lightening of the main spring is discouraged to obtain a lighter pull.

A Keltec .380 ACP with a clip draw on him 24/7. I really mean 24/7 except when in the shower can be lifesaving. It can at least allow him distance to put the pump gun in use. Get both and be prepared for the unexpected. I’d recommend a NAA .22 derringer in the pocket for backup should one gun go down. Murphy’s Law is a beach.

My co-worker's sister-in-law was nearly beaten to death early Mother's day. As far as we know, she normally carries (wife of a LEO) but was with a friend who carried and forgone her weapon. She dropped them off and as she entered the house through an open garage door a rather large man demanded her purse, she complied then was beaten severely-unconscious with numerous factures of the face and body (she is a small woman). Her gun was in the house. Family found her the later that morning still unconscious.

Complacency kills good folks everyday.

Last edited:
Had a like situation with an inlaw a while back they ended up with a .32 revolver from buds gun shop. Wasn't to expensive.

I think .32s are very underestimated. My P32 is a lot easier to shoot than my LCP. I value the ability to perform with a gun much more than the "benefit" of a bigger caliber.
Here's an example of a good performance standard.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-departments/drill-of-the-month/5-5/
drill-of-the-month-cover.jpg

One of my friends recently did some training for private citizens at a Sheriff's range. An older lady who hated .38s did very well with a .32.

Attachments

• drill-of-the-month-cover.jpg
    drill-of-the-month-cover.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom