• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some help with a gun for my dad.

One thing I will mention that hasn't been discussed yet is that you need to take him to the range. I know he is a veteran and thus "has experience" with guns but that doesn't mean he still remembers how to handle them. I took my dad to the range with me, my brother, and my sister-in-law. My dad is a Vietnam veteran so I thought it would be a good time since he hadn't shot in a long time. We quickly realized that one of us needed to supervise and/or help him constantly. Just wanted to mention that experience a long time ago does not necessarily mean he knows what he is doing with firearms now.

1) I would recommend the shotgun first. A Pump would be much easier for someone with arthritis than an auto. Double barrel easier o load but heavier.
2) Has he tried a full size revolver? The DA pull on a K frame S&W is lighter than that of a J-frame (also you have the SA option)
3) CHeck out the Beretta Bobcat (22) or Tomcat (32) those can be loaded and fired without operating the slide. Arthritis can make loading any other type of automatic nearly impossible.

Does his arthritis mainly cause a lack of strength or dexterity?
Loading a .22 cartridge into a tip up barrel may be tough lacking dexterity - 38's are much easier to hold.
You can almost load a break-open shot gun without fingers

What about a squeeze cocker like a HK P7? Not trying to steer you away from a revolver if that's what you think is best, but it might be easier than racking the slide. Just a thought...

My dad's neighborhood is changing (think Clint Eastwood/Gran Torino), and he has decided he wants a gun. He's ex-military, so he is not unfamiliar with them, but hasn't had one in years (he's 82). So far I have gotten him a Keltec PF9 and a nine shot Taurus 22 revolver. Due to significant arthritis, he can work the slide on the Keltec and the DA trigger on the revolver is a little too much for him. Can anybody recommend a light trigger pistol for him? He would prefer a 22 or 38 revolver. If I can't find a pistol, I thought maybe I could find him a youth model pump shotgun in 20 gauge or 410. Does anybody else has experience with this situation?

PM sent

If he can manage a lightweight rifle, I'd go with an M1 Carbine, or perhaps a lightweight AR15. No reason to use a handgun for home defense if a rifle can be used instead. If a handgun has to be used due to physical ailments, a SA pistol (1911?) stored cocked and locked ought to be okay.

Back
Top Bottom