Need some info on deciding first handgun purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFCory

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
So my wife and I have recently honorably discharged from active duty army and are finally going to buy our first handguns when our taxes get back due to that fact that we have a 3 year old son and things are getting crazy lately. I live in Newnan, GA and can not decide on which handgun to purchase. I have had experience with the beretta 9mm from the army along with the wife and that is what she is wanting for everyday carry but for me I'm not sure. Now my question is which one is best for me? I've narrowed it down to wanting a .45, and either a glock 21 gen 4, a smith &amp; Wesson M&amp;P, or a 1911. Can anyone give me pros and cons? I will more than likely be putting myself through the police academy and will be using the handgun to go. Is there any place in my area where I can try these three handguns out to see which one best suits me before buying? Oh and Im not looking to get a compact I'm wanting a full size. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

One more question sorry everyone. When we get our permits I'm also looking to get a holster to go with the handgun. I ride my motorcycle as a daily driver and was wanting to know if a shoulder holster is allowed and if I'm aloud to have a jacket over it? And then if I get off the bike and take my jacket off can I still have my handgun in my shoulder holster or will I have to have a belt holster?

Well I know when I buy a handgun for the wife and I it will more than likely be from one off of ODT. The prices are so much better and the variety is better than any gun shop I've been to. And plus I've talked to quiet a few guys from this forum in person and they are a lot better to deal with then any gun store

If you are here in Newnan, check out Abraham's Pawn on Temple. Super guys with great pricing... Like everywhere, selection is a bit slim right now, but they are great to work with!
I would personally lean toward the Glock for you and a Kahr for ccw

likely the biggest pro/con for most in considering the difference of 1911 vs Glock or M&P is the whole "cocked and locked" exposed hammer versus striker fired.

Last edited:
One more question sorry everyone. When we get our permits I'm also looking to get a holster to go with the handgun. I ride my motorcycle as a daily driver and was wanting to know if a shoulder holster is allowed and if I'm aloud to have a jacket over it? And then if I get off the bike and take my jacket off can I still have my handgun in my shoulder holster or will I have to have a belt holster?

no problems with a permit. You can open carry if you want, conceal carry if you want. Your preference..

IMO, the only thing Beretta ever did right was shotguns. Can't really go wrong with Glock, M&P, or Springfield XD. I love the 1911, but don't recommend it as a first handgun. The other 3 I listed should all be relatively simple and very reliable. Of those 3, I prefer the XD because it feels the best in my hand and I shoot them better than Glocks or M&Ps. Just see what feels good in your hand and if possible, which you shoot the best. Of course, if you buy something you end up not liking, you can always trade or sell it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom