• 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Below is a picture of my 308 build. It cost me 1,800 in parts alone and that doesn't include the optic. I have been considering changing the barrel to 6.5 Creedmoor and I am unsettled on my decision to move forward on it. Not because of ammo cost or The having to restock on a different caliber but just the change in general and pros and cons on doing so. So this change would be more for Long range target use.

The barrel on this gun was over 400 dollars and the 6.5 creed barrel would be on par with cost that doesn't bother me. I have two 30-06's so I have hard hitting guns and the Creedmoor cartridge has peaked my interest and have been wanting to do a build on one so I thought about just changing the barrel on the one. This barrel on it now is a 18 inch bull barrel and makes the gun a bit heavy. The barrel I am thinking of replacing it with is a Black Hole Weaponry barrel in National Match profile which is bull diameter to the gas block and .750 all the way to the muzzle. What's unique about their barrels is they use a polygonal rifling and for pressure reasons makes a makes a 20 inch barrel on par with the ballistics of a 22 inch barrel. So even though the barrel would be longer it would probably be a little lighter but shoot like a longer barrel.

Now what I'm liking about the change is BC characteristics over the 308 and the ability to shoot longer ranges flatter and faster. The only downside I am seeing is barrel cost but that really doesn't bother me. I wouldn't be getting rid of the 308 barrel but just swapping it out for the 6.5 barrel and a adj. gas block.

I would like to here from some of you have gone from a 308 to the 6.5 Creed and some of you who have that caliber and maybe some other barrel recommendations. Are there any potential problems that I might face and just overall your opinion on both cartridges.

And of course your vote on which one to go with up above.

Attachments

• 20160228_174918(1).jpg
    20160228_174918(1).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 39
I have now experience in the caliber but i say do want you want. Go big or go home. Lol. I have heard good things about the 6.5

I have a 6.5 gasser with a Ranier Ultra Match barrel. Shoots lights out. Takes some time playing with the gas, buffer, etc to get the dwell time correct. Sadly, I don't shoot it that much though. If long range target is the intended purpose, no doubt that the 6.5 is the better choice over 308.

Well 600 is max distance at the club I belong to however, I plan on trying to do some 1000 yard play after a good optic and I finally get up the gumption to hit one of these long range comps.

I plan on taking a class on doping my scope and long range shooting in general as well before all that goes down. I will already be doped before I get there but that's beside the point. LOL J/K for sure.

Back
Top Bottom