• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

for all around value for the money I'd go with Ruger American threaded heavy barrel. A better stock, bedding and some trigger work on the original trigger and some good glass is all you need.

Ruger American. My brother and dad own a couple. Nice rifles for $350-$400. The after market scene is starting to pick up too. I would get the predator with the heavier, threaded barrel, and either a Boyd’s or BC stock. The trigger should be fine. If you don’t like the set trigger thing they have, timney has a nice upgrade.
This. I had a buddy who was on the Naval Marksmanship Team who observed/participated in a shoot out between a Ruger Predator and a Ruger Precision both in 6.5 CM starting at 100 yards and going to 1200 using identical optics. He stated that they were neck and neck till 800 yards and then the Precision started pulling away. At 1000 there was about an inch difference in group size. He owned a predator and had replaced the stock. He tuned his own trigger.

Ruger American. My brother and dad own a couple. Nice rifles for $350-$400. The after market scene is starting to pick up too. I would get the predator with the heavier, threaded barrel, and either a Boyd’s or BC stock. The trigger should be fine. If you don’t like the set trigger thing they have, timney has a nice upgrade.
A Boyds stock is exactly what I have been looking at. I pretty much got it narrowed down between two designs. That and put a really good trigger in it and and really step up to the pump for the scope. I think that would be a great project and have a rifle that looks exactly like I want it to. Plus their stocks are competitively priced. Not bad at all.

The only one of those worth the trouble is the Ruger. I see a Browning A-Bolt and a Remington 788 listed on here for about your budget.

Brownell's sells barreled actions. Add your stock of choice. Those Howa Minis are neat.

Get a 700 donor rifle or action and start there everything else will be a waste.

Its going to be really expensive. Quality 700 parts are up there in price. If he does a prefit, trigger upgrade, stock, and bare action hes already north of $1200.

If he goes the custom route his $400 action is now a $750 action plus $600 or so for a barrel blank, chambering, threading, and install.

I love the 700 btw. Great action and the clone market for them is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom