• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some real estate advice. What should I do here?

Rental company won't budge on selling the house. Just got my renewal notice and another year long lease is only $1300. I think I'll stay here for another year. Not gonna find anything similar for the price and meanwhile I'm still piling up money in savings every month. I have more than enough for a down payment already and my credit score is almost 800. Should be no problem getting a mortgage so I'll see what happens with the market next year.
When I got kind of stuck in a house limbo, I bought land and sat on it until I could build. It might be worth consideration if it fits your situation. This thread's old enough now that I might be repeating myself. Apologies if that's the case.

Rental company won't budge on selling the house. Just got my renewal notice and another year long lease is only $1300. I think I'll stay here for another year. Not gonna find anything similar for the price and meanwhile I'm still piling up money in savings every month. I have more than enough for a down payment already and my credit score is almost 800. Should be no problem getting a mortgage so I'll see what happens with the market next year.
Excellent decision. You won't have a problem at all obtaining a loan with that credit score. Just one mentionable. Don't make any major purchases between now and then. Like a new car for example. It will affect your income to debt ratio when you go to get a home loan.

Anytime you consider buying a home instead of renting, figure that *on average* over the long term, you will spend $6000 per year on maintenance or repair.

QUOTE:

"Some expenses that go with homeownership can often be unpredictable — and costly.

Last year, homeowners spent an average of $6,000 on maintenance and repairs, according to a recent report from insurance firm Hippo. A separate study from home services website Angi that measured similar 2022 costs shows maintenance averaged $2,467 and home emergency spending — i.e., an unexpected repair — was $1,953 on average ($4,420 altogether)."

ARTICLE:

P.S. I've been hearing this for 30 years although back then I think the figure was average of $3000 per year.
In the early 2000's it was $5K/yr.
Don’t forget homeowner‘s and flood insurance. That ain’t cheap any more.

Back
Top Bottom