• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need suggestions on saltwater fly gear

ch035

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
hi All,

I’m an going to try my luck in the Bahamas for bonefish next month. I need an awesome rod. Anyone have suggestions? Or any flats gear for sale?

hi All,

I’m an going to try my luck in the Bahamas for bonefish next month. I need an awesome rod. Anyone have suggestions? Or any flats gear for sale?
Are you staying in Nassau? Some awesome bonefishing in Bahamas. Let me know if you need a recommendation on a guide in Nassau.

Not sure where in the Bahamas you are goin. my experience is the Bones average 2 to 4 pounds but have also caught many 5 & 6 pound fish. I have been fortunate enough to visit 7 different islands in the Bahamas Bonefishing. I recommend nothing lighter than a 6 weight. ( just my opinion...there are some who use much lighter gear and have a great time) I have a 6,7 and 8. I use the 8 weight the most simply due to the winds are pretty constant this time of the year. 15 mph give or take. Some guides frown on lighter rods ....they claim that lighter rods exhaust the fish to the point of non reviving.
I own a Sage 6 weight rod and reel, a Bill Oyster 7 weight bamboo and an 8wt Orvis Helios II. Luv my Orvis...but they are pricey.
I’m envious.... good luck and hope you have a great trip.
Which island are you heading to?
Bibs

I’m headed to Abaco. I’ve got a 6 wt but scared of the wind. I was even considering getting a 9wt. Do you think that would be over kill?

I’m headed to Abaco. I’ve got a 6 wt but scared of the wind. I was even considering getting a 9wt. Do you think that would be over kill?
Beautiful and super jealous. I'll be down there in April. I'd grab an 8 wt, personally. Good luck and look forward to the report

Back
Top Bottom