Need to feed the addiction, efficiently

bradlee787

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
So I have this addiction. I buy ammo, anytime I come across it at decent prices, and end up stockpiling because I don't want to shoot through it all, forcing me to constantly continue the nerve-wracking cycle of constantly buying more and more to replinish and rebuild the stash. I'd say many others feel the same? This leads me to the conclusion I need to just start loading my own, but I don't really know anything about it, short of the geneeral concept. My questions are:

-How much would I be looking at spending for a basic set-up, nothing fancy, probably wouldn't be doing but around 1,000 rds a month? I currently only have the need for 9mm and 5.56/.223 dies. So ballpark figure, not including components.

-List of exact euipment you'd recommend, matching the price range from the first question, and why you recommend such?

-Also, as far as dies are concerned, is there a difference between 5.56 and .223, and which is more economical to load? I tend to prefer 5.56 but I have no real justification for that, other than personal choice.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice guys.

I just posted about getting into reloading, what I didn't say is why I wanted to get started in it. You just nailed it though, same here. I read a lot of resources and some books before I cleaned a single piece of brass and had a lot of pre-conceived notions based on what I read. I got some stuff to get started pretty much for free, so I'm up and running for very little out of pocket but already thinking about buying another press. I'll leave the advice giving to those smarter and wiser than I, but I'm glad I'm not the only one starting this for the same reason. Enjoy.

This ^^^^^!!!!
Remember, one of the definitions of insanity is:

"Asking the same question(s) thousands of times and keep expecting the answer(s) to change!"

Edited: This isn't intended to sound bad, just that we see the same questions asked over, and over, and over.
The answers to most questions have been covered in the sticky, and they don't change

Given where you live, I suggest that you send Springfield 1911 a PM and invite him to lunch. He is an
extremely experienced reloader and one great guy to know!

Good Luck in pursuing a new addiction!

Last edited:
It scares the Hell out of me to read.. Hey I want to reload and then followup posts about getting a case stuck (ahhh no lube), or failing to chamber a round (aaahh pushed the shoulder back).... The worst I blew up my rifle .. I used these little lee scoop things filled up the case of my ought six, put a bullet on top. Kaboom no rifle , they say I might get feeling in my fingers but couldn't save the eye......

People get a mentor, get reloading manuals and READ them, DO NOT rely on YOUTUBE!!! You will kill yourself or someone else.....

So I have this addiction. I buy ammo, anytime I come across it at decent prices, and end up stockpiling because I don't want to shoot through it all, forcing me to constantly continue the nerve-wracking cycle of constantly buying more and more to replinish and rebuild the stash. I'd say many others feel the same? This leads me to the conclusion I need to just start loading my own, but I don't really know anything about it, short of the geneeral concept. My questions are:

-How much would I be looking at spending for a basic set-up, nothing fancy, probably wouldn't be doing but around 1,000 rds a month? I currently only have the need for 9mm and 5.56/.223 dies. So ballpark figure, not including components.

-List of exact euipment you'd recommend, matching the price range from the first question, and why you recommend such?

-Also, as far as dies are concerned, is there a difference between 5.56 and .223, and which is more economical to load? I tend to prefer 5.56 but I have no real justification for that, other than personal choice.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice guys.

What everyone else said is great advice.

I started pretty recently myself. I bought the hornady lock and load single stage kit-similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-85003...-1&keywords=hornady+lock+and+load+classic+kit

My kit didn't come with a primer feeder, but it did come with the book, the hand primer, the scale, and a few small tools. Mine also had the powder drop.

I went out and got a rcbs 505 beam scale (and test weights-very important.) The little digital scale that came in my kit is complete crap. It regularly shows variances of .3 grains. That is unacceptable to me. The beam scale is perfect. If you want a good digital scale, you got to spend at least 100 bucks.

I also got a good stainless steel dial caliper. You do a lot of measuring.

I am happy with my Hornady so far. The thing I like about it is the drop in die bushings. It is great to be able to set up a bunch of dies and just drop them in and start loading. Some presses don't allow you to do that. You would have to set up the dies all over each time you change them. (Or at least you will have to tinker with them a little.)

Got to get ancillary things like a primer pocket cleaner and such. Maybe need a couple of reloading blocks also.

In my opinion, Hornady's kit is not a bad start. The book is OK, but I would definitely start with a book like "ABCs of reloading" which has a much broader overview. Hornady's has some good points, but it isn't comprehensive.

Guys made some great points. Youtube is useful-but there are some real idiots out there as well.

This guy does a pretty good series. he uses a hornady just like mine, so you can see how it works. (He uses the press primer seater. I prefer doing it with the hand tray, but I do everything else kinda like he does.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It scares the Hell out of me to read.. Hey I want to reload and then followup posts about getting a case stuck (ahhh no lube), or failing to chamber a round (aaahh pushed the shoulder back).... The worst I blew up my rifle .. I used these little lee scoop things filled up the case of my ought six, put a bullet on top. Kaboom no rifle , they say I might get feeling in my fingers but couldn't save the eye......

People get a mentor, get reloading manuals and READ them, DO NOT rely on YOUTUBE!!! You will kill yourself or someone else.....

Yes, for sure, I will definitely be seeking a mentor, as well as good literature. Excuse my ignorance for bypassing the sticky, I didn't even think to look before posting, got excited I guess. In the hopefully near future, I think I'll contact the guy clarke123 mentioned, or any other you guys suggest in my area.

I think the 'initial set-up cost" is what has kept me from already starting reloading, but a quick look on Midway, and I saw that you can get the Lee single-stage anniversary kit for $100, and according to it's description, only need a few other things to get a basic set-up and operation going.

Now for one more question here, as I haven't seen it anywhere, do you still come out cheaper reloading if you purchase new components, including brass? The reason I ask is, at first starting out, I'll probably purchase new brass, rather than once-fired, and learn the brass-prepping, case-trimming, de-priming and anything else involved with used brass as I gain more experience.

Not directed at you BradLee .... In past questions arise which is fine, but some really do scare me. At times I just want to say WTF were you thinking. It's not that they are not able to comprehend the process's it's the fact they just haphazardly jump in with both feet. I have been reloading since Junior High. Yes back then we had a reloading bench setup at school, had a reloading and a rifle club... I cant recall any whackjob killing school kids then... Man how times have changed. If you have a question or need some help just PM me. Blairsville is a trip but you are welcome at my bench anytime.

This ^^^^^!!!!
Remember, one of the definitions of insanity is:

"Asking the same question(s) thousands of times and keep expecting the answer(s) to change!"

Edited: This isn't intended to sound bad, just that we see the same questions asked over, and over, and over.
The answers to most questions have been covered in the sticky, and they don't change

Given where you live, I suggest that you send Springfield 1911 a PM and invite him to lunch. He is an
extremely experienced reloader and one great guy to know!

Good Luck in pursuing a new addiction!

My gosh, I'm blushing. Thank you sir I feel the same way about you!:yo: I would be happy to help you bradlee, just send me a PM and you can come to the house and see my setup before you commit to buying anything. We can also go through my steps, while there is no perfect right way, my way works for me and I would be happy to teach it to you.

Back
Top Bottom