• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New 5.56 load help

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
so I have a 10.5 inch SBR with 1:7 twist rate that I want to load 5.56 for I see most tend to like varget powder so I will go with that and I already have cci 400 primers so I will stick with that but what grain projectiles would y’all recommend and any advice on loading 5.56 is welcome! Just a side note the rifle will be shot almost always with a silencerco hybrid as well

I load 55 gr fmj with benchmark most often but have used several powders.
No idea on loading for suppressed though.
Is that what your loading for a 10.5 inch barrel? Not looking to load subs or anything like that I just included that because some people like to know

If you are a high volume shooter, 55 grain projectiles are going to be way more affordable than anything else. I use Hornady 55gr PSPs because they cost the same as fmj, but at a little more accurate. I buy case quantities, which is 3500 if I remember correctly. If you don't want that many, go in with the it four friends to buy a case. Wait till Brownells has them on sale with a 30 off 300 coupon code and you will get them for under 7 cents each. Again, if you are a volume shooter, you won't want to mess with Varget. You will want a smoothly metering ball powder. My preference is H335. 24.5 to 25 grains should do the trick.

If you are going for accuracy, I'm guessing that 1 in 7 would do well with a Sierra 69gr Match King or a similar bullet from Nosler or Hornady. Here might be the place for Varget.

The above runs fine in my 10.5 inch barrel. I can actually run way less than that with a suppressor. My gun will run with as little as 16 grains of H335 with a suppressor, but the accuracy seems to fall off some.

The above runs fine in my 10.5 inch barrel. I can actually run way less than that with a suppressor. My gun will run with as little as 16 grains of H335 with a suppressor, but the accuracy seems to fall off some.
Cool looks like 55 grain is where it’s at I’m using the hornady lock n load powder measure so varget doesn’t meter well out of something like that?

As others have said if you are looking for bulk/volume/inexpensive 5.56 it's hard to beat 55gr FMJ bullets. Look around and you can usually find them for $70/k if you keep your eyes open.

with a 1:7 you want to stick with 55+gr bullets. 62gr would probably be more ideal for the twist but I have fine luck with the 55gr, but when I see a deal on the 62's I get them, or better yet 77gr HPBT if you want more accuracy or longer range. Occasionally Shooters Pro Shop has Nosler blems for cheap. I thin MidSouth has the best prices on 62gr.

Varget is good but sometimes hard to find when powder gets scarce, and as others mention it's not the best in some measures. there are plenty of good powders if you are just plinking, or test a few and see what works best for your rifle.

As others have said if you are looking for bulk/volume/inexpensive 5.56 it's hard to beat 55gr FMJ bullets. Look around and you can usually find them for $70/k if you keep your eyes open.

with a 1:7 you want to stick with 55+gr bullets. 62gr would probably be more ideal for the twist but I have fine luck with the 55gr, but when I see a deal on the 62's I get them, or better yet 77gr HPBT if you want more accuracy or longer range. Occasionally Shooters Pro Shop has Nosler blems for cheap. I thin MidSouth has the best prices on 62gr.

Varget is good but sometimes hard to find when powder gets scarce, and as others mention it's not the best in some measures. there are plenty of good powders if you are just plinking, or test a few and see what works best for your rifle.
What powder would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom