• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New 5.56 load help

I use Varget and Ramshot TAC on a lot of my loads. but I've used H335 and AR-Comp. The AR-Comp was good.

I think if I were starting from scratch, I'd check out CFE223 and AR-comp. It would seem that the powder companies would have to have learned more about powder in the past few years and the newer stuff might be a step up from the older powder. I think AR-comp is very similar to RL15 but meters better and is less temp sensitive.

W748 is easy to find, and meters well. I use it with CCI magnum primers and get better accuracy than I did when using standard primers.

335 and BL(c)-2 are also good ball powders.

In a 10.5" barrel, I would recommend something like H4198 or RL7 if they will put out enough gas to cycle the action. You will get less muzzle flash with a faster burning powder. Not sure if you can find any load data, but something like H110 or IMR4227 might be something to try as well. A faster burning powder may give you more velocity than a slower one as it will burn more completely inside the barrel. I have proven this in my 14" contender where my velocity with H322 is greater than with H335 which gives more velocity in longer barrels.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom