New AR 556 cuttin' brass

Nat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
211   0
Reaction score
Bought a Ruger AR 556, shoots really well no complaints save one, the extractor is cuttin' my brass. The pic is one of the deepest. Why and what can I do about it?
Thank you for the info & help, Nate.

Attachments

• imagejpeg952 (5).jpg
    imagejpeg952 (5).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 51
Over gassing, thus timing being off and the gun is running too fast. This is typically a sure sign of premature extraction meaning the gun is trying to extract before the case has contracted from the chamber enough to be extracted without force

Over gassing, thus timing being off and the gun is running too fast. This is typically a sure sign of premature extraction meaning the gun is trying to extract before the case has contracted from the chamber enough to be extracted without force
I know remember, since you jogged my memory, that the manual states I can make an adjustment to the gas tube regulating the amount returned to drive the bolt, depending on the ammo I'm using. I must keep this in mind from this point forward. Thank you sir for the knowledge and input sir.

I know remember, since you jogged my memory, that the manual states I can make an adjustment to the gas tube regulating the amount returned to drive the bolt, depending on the ammo I'm using. I must keep this in mind from this point forward. Thank you sir for the knowledge and input sir.

Thats the most likely cause and adjusting the gas block usually corrects if its not hot ammo.
My next question would have been.... are you using hot reloads, hot factory ammo or ran different ammo to see if you have the same results?

Thats the most likely cause and adjusting the gas block usually corrects if its not hot ammo.
My next question would have been.... are you using hot reloads, hot factory ammo or ran different ammo to see if you have the same results?
I was using factory 5.56 Federal. I'll be trying some 5.56 X-TAC this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom