• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New England Fall Foliage?

I've also heard the N. GA mountains are beautiful in the fall? I prefer staying close to home if I can help it.

I can understand. I'm trying to see the parts of the US I haven't seen yet. Haven't been past Philadelphia in the Northeast.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Seems like Vermont and NH are among the top picks. I'm thinking to drive.

Friends of ours did a bike ride in New England during the leaf looking time,beautiful scenery.I see mine from a deer ladder

Go to Halifax, Nova Scotia and travel around the area for a few days. Be sure to visit Lunenburg. It is a lovely town.

Reactions: GFB
The Camden and Rockport area would be a good base camp. Lot of options for day trips. Would not want to freestyle traveling during leaf season. I had trouble finding vacancy in Scranton Pa. That time of year because of leaf peepers

Up state NY is amazing.
One of my buddies spent a week in Salem taxachusetts and loved it.

fall foliage 2018 google it for a timeline map

I drove from here , took the ferry from Bar Harbour to Nova Scotia, came back thru New Brunswick to Maine. Toured New Hampshire and Vermont. Took a ferry cross the lake to New York. Toured around the Adriondacks, stopped off at Niagra Falls then headed home. Lot of driving. Little younger when I did that. I have pulled a camper to Maine a few times.

As an ex-Yankee, the peak time in NH/VT is mid to late October, but only of there are some cold nights to get the trees started. Ideally going below freezing to get all the trees on the same schedule. It can be a crapshoot though, since the end of October is usually rainy. You can literally have only a few days between peak color and empty branches.

It is worth seeing though, simply because all the first growth forest were logged out up there in the 1700s. Everything is second or third growth, so instead of a single color like you get out in the upper midwest, you get everything... All the way from yellow to bright orange to deep red.

On the downside, if there is good color, be prepared for epic traffic jams as every 'leaf peeper' in the area (and way outside) clogs up the small 2 lane roads in the upper part of NE.

Best bet is to follow some of the Boston TV stations starting in early October, since they will usually have 'Fall color' updates.

Back
Top Bottom