• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New hunter with questions…

SniperStraz

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve got a few questions I was hoping you might be able to answer.
1. During small game season (right now,) what are my choices as far as firearms go?
I’ve been told that .22LR .22Mag and .17HMR are ok as well as #2 shot. What about .223?
2. What kind of magazine capacity is legal to have on a hunting weapon? Rifle? Shotgun?
3. I’ve been told that hunters are permitted to take hogs any time of year. Is this true? If so, what are the restrictions on weapons during different seasons? When March comes around am I allowed to take hogs with a 30-06?
4. Any rules about shooting at a downward angle? (i.e. from a perch on top of a hill etc…)
5. Do I need any special kind of hunting license for hunting squirrels, hogs, or coyotes, or will the $25 hunting and fishing license be enough?
Any and all help is much appreciated.
All the best!

My suggestion is to read up on the DNR's rules and regulations.

I can answer a few of your questions:

3. Depends on where you are hunting. On public land (i.e. WMA's, etc.), you can only take a hog with whatever caliber is allowed for other game that is in season. Meaning you can take a hog with a shotgun during turkey season, etc. That's in the rules and regs IIRC. On private land (i.e. hunting club), I think you can take a hog with just about anything, any time of the year. Please correctly if I am wrong, someone.

4. Nothing on downward angle shots. Otherwise, hunting from a treestand would be illegal. There are rules against hunting in certain proximity to a public roadway - again, in the rules and regs.

5. All that is required for hog hunting is the plain-jane hunting license. Otherwise, consult the rules.

JUST got off the phone with the DNR game management services. You can hunt hogs all year round on WMA's with small game weapons. You can Hunt hogs with center fire rifles during rifle deer season. You need to make sure that any gear you use is approved for the season that you are in. That means while you can hunt Hogs with turkey loads during turkey season you cannot upgrade the caliber of your rifle until rifle season.

Last edited:
Hello all! I’ve got a few questions I was hoping you might be able to answer.
1. During small game season (right now,) what are my choices as far as firearms go?
I’ve been told that .22LR .22Mag and .17HMR are ok as well as #2 shot. What about .223?
2. What kind of magazine capacity is legal to have on a hunting weapon? Rifle? Shotgun?
3. I’ve been told that hunters are permitted to take hogs any time of year. Is this true? If so, what are the restrictions on weapons during different seasons? When March comes around am I allowed to take hogs with a 30-06?
4. Any rules about shooting at a downward angle? (i.e. from a perch on top of a hill etc…)
5. Do I need any special kind of hunting license for hunting squirrels, hogs, or coyotes, or will the $25 hunting and fishing license be enough?
Any and all help is much appreciated.
All the best!

1) Rimfire rifles, shotgun with #2 or smaller shot and BP only. No centerfire rifles.
2) Rifle has no limit. Shotgun is three, two in the mag and one in the chamber.
3) You can use any weapon year round on PRIVATE PROPERTY. On State or Federal land and you can only hunt them during a season for other game and only with the weapons that are legal for that game. You can't hunt turkey with a 30-06, so you can't hunt hog during turkey season with one. The big thing to remember is that there are not restrictions on the use of BP on turkey or small game. A 50 Cal. muzzle loader would be legal any time a hunting season is open.
There are some WMAs that have hunts specifically for hog. You would need to read the regs for that hunt to find out what weapons are legal.
4) No.
5) If you are on a WMA you will need the WMA license. Also, if you do not have a big game license, you will need to restrict your weapon to what is legal for small game, even if deer season is also open. Remember, this only applies to public land. On private land it's a different story. Hogs are not even considered game animals by the state. They are considered the property of the land owner and can be hunted anytime using any hunting weapon.

Hope this helps, but I do recommend familiarizing yourself with the hunting regs. http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/

Stop in any Walmart. go to sporting goods counter... they have free DNR pubs that will answer all your questions or google Ga dept natural resources and you'll find the info there on the DNR site.

Like others said.Get the regs(Walmart,Bass Pro.Dick`s,etc.)and read`em.I`m amazed at some folks who won`t read the regs.I found a guy on Sheffield once,with his kid,shooting cans with a .22,from the road,just down from the check station.This was during archery season,also.I told him what the regs said,(he had 4 violations)and he wanted to argue.I told him to keep on shootin`.He`d get to meet the area manager.

Back
Top Bottom