• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New load questions

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
ok im a new loader and I shot eight of my first loads to make sure that they work and they were grouping well but they were all about an inch high. I am using 3 grains of tight group powder and the projectile is my cast 124 grain 9mm and they are pan lubed. any suggestions on what I can do to drop the impact down about an inch?

Capture.PNG

normal for 9mm Handgun Trajectory Table

Higher velocity will lower your poi.

A lighter bullet or different powder type/charge is in order.
the load max on the tight group says max is like 4.5 so I started a little low being my first time. what would be recommended to step up to without going to the max

I'm not the best one to ask about fast burn rate powders. I avoid them.

I prefer powder that's a bit slower, forgiving, and case filling. My best guess based on your numbers would be to increase the charge .5 gr and shoot a few?

For handguns, the heavier the bullet, the higher the POI. The slower the bullet, the higher the POI.
Some cure the "problem" by using adjustable sights.
Just my opinion, but TG and lead bullets don't work well for me.
Powders for 9x19? 231/HP38, AA5, WSF, Herco, Unique, Silhouette, HS6, and Power Pistol, with PP being the most accurate in my guns.
Normal is to reduce a load by 10-12% from the max load. If max load is 4.5gn, then a good start load should be 4.0gn--3.0gn is a REALLY big drop from max load.

What type of gun are you shooting reloads out of? Full-size,compact or subcompact? I found out my glock 35 likes 4.4 grains titegroup. My Glock 23 likes 4.0 grains of titegroup and my Glock 27 likes 3.8 grains of titegroup all with a 180gr rnfp. It seems that the shorter the barrel the less powder I need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom