• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Long Range AR / Glass Suggestions

HerkyBird

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
5   0
Reaction score
So I've pretty much never won anything in my life when it comes to raffles and such. Needless to say I was not hopeful as I handed over the $30 for 3 chances to win a custom-built AR worth about $1800. The shooting gods smiled on me that day, and I actually won! Anderson upper and lower, 24" spiral-fluted barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber, 16" UTG rail, CMC precision trigger with a 3.5# pull, Harris bipod, and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope. Now, I love the glass, but it's just not appropriate for this long range machine. I think it'd be cherry on my HD AR, but I need something better suited for long distance work. Any long-range AR shooters want to share what they like?
IMG_8443.PNG
IMG_8444.PNG

Congratulations! (Bipod's on backwards)

Personally, I'd sell the Strike Eagle. Too much optic for an HD carbine. Use the money to buy a RDS for your HD setup, or put it towards your new scope for this one.

Look around for a used Gen1 Vortex Viper PST 4-16x or 6-24x. The newer Gen2 versions are closer to the $1,000 mark.

You can also contact a Scott Berish of a Liberty Optics and tell him Shep sent you. He can get you into the best optic for your budget.

Going down this path on upgrading optics. I have picked up two used Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD off ODT over the last few months. Very nice scopes. I have a Vortex HS LR FFP 4-16x50 - it is a nice scope (the FFP version is rare) if you can find one too - that model seems to be similar to the PST line minus the illumination. Also look for deals on the Burris XTR II line. Shep (cmshoot) has been a big help to me on this journey.

I sell optics if you have any questions. Like others said above the vortex 4-16 would be a good fit. I'm also a fan of the 2-10x32 which is in that same price range. Shoot me a message when you narrow it down and I'll get you a deal.

Congratulations! (Bipod's on backwards)

Personally, I'd sell the Strike Eagle. Too much optic for an HD carbine. Use the money to buy a RDS for your HD setup, or put it towards your new scope for this one.

Look around for a used Gen1 Vortex Viper PST 4-16x or 6-24x. The newer Gen2 versions are closer to the $1,000 mark.

You can also contact a Scott Berish of a Liberty Optics and tell him Shep sent you. He can get you into the best optic for your budget.

I noticed that too, but they had it on the correct way by the time I took possession.

You think even on 1x the Strike Ragle is still too much?

I've fondled the Vipers and like them. Thanks for the validation on that. Probably the way I'll go. I have a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range that needs glass as well. Might go the same route there.

Back
Top Bottom