New Pistol Light Primer Strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashin

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
111   0
Reaction score
I have a new Diamondback DB FS9 that I picked up on black Friday for cheap. It's a fun duty size pistol in 9mm, and it didn't break the bank either so I decided to pick it up while I was getting my new Ruger SR45. I took them both to the range the other day, and the Ruger worked magnificently. The Diamond Back on the other hand, made it through 10 rounds before the issues started. I pointed the gun and squeezed the trigger, but only heard a *CLICK*. I waited about 15 second to make sure it wasn't going to ignite, then racked the slide to eject the round. The primer had a little small dent in it instead of the firm pock mark the other rounds had. Thinking that maybe either the primer was too hard, or perhaps the round was a dud, I put it aside. This was using ZQ 9x19mm NATO rounds, which is what I've always used.

I continued on and about 4 magazines later I had 14 rounds that had failed to fire on not only the first strike, but also some on the second and third strikes. I have been using this ammo without a single hiccup in my Glock, M&P, and Sig without any problems (been through about 10 boxes) so I was a little perplexed. On the rounds that didn't fire, some didn't look like they were struck at all, while others ranged from small scratches on the primer to tiny dings. None came close to the size of the mark on the fired cases. To run some trouble shooting, I ran 3 mags through my Glock 19 from the ZQ ammo, then even loaded up a mag with the rounds that didn't fire in the Diamondback. They all went bang on the first try.

So I'm left with good news and bad news. The good being that I was able to practice NOT compensating for the shot since random rounds didn't fire. The bad news is, I'm left with a rather unreliable pistol. None of the reviews for this pistol have had any issues like this, and since the model is new I cannot locate a good step by step guide to disassemble the slide to get to the firing pin to measure it (I have no delusions that I have the tools necessary either), nor can I find specs that go far enough into details as to give me an exact measurement. The questions I'm left with:

1. Do I pack it up and send it to the factory to loose 4-6 weeks?
2. Do I suck it up and take it to a local smith?
3. Do I just sit on it and wait UNTIL the model becomes more prevalent and disassembly instructions/further specs are released?

I'd appreciate any weigh ins from the community, especially if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the firing pin. Also, before anyone asks, I always take a new gun and clean/lube the weapon 2-3 times before taking it out the first time, using a quick wipe to make sure I don't over lube. Factory grease can be a pain sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom