• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New reloader question

is there any difference in reloading nickel plated brass?

Brass seems to last longer as nickel seems to split sooner. It sure looks pretty though. If you carry rounds in leather belt cartridge loops the nickel doesn't corrode like brass. Otherwise get brass as it will remain in service a bit longer.

if I was to do a test of four different powders and wanted to use the same lead cast bullets and same primers and same brass to make the only variant the multiple powders being tested could I use the same grain charge with all four or would that throw the results off because I know not all powders are made the same.

Another vote for Universal.

It works well in most calibers, yields good load density for reliability and consistency, meters well, and delivers excellent accuracy.

Another vote for Universal.

It works well in most calibers, yields good load density for reliability and consistency, meters well, and delivers excellent accuracy.

I would have said the same except that now it seems almost unobtainable. Plus, the price has shot through the roof!

I went back to using Alliant Unique. About the same burn rate and only $115/8# vs $145/8#.

I've had good luck for all of those calibers with Universal Clays. Full .357 magnum loads may not be the best with it, but you can get some nice .38 loads.

if I was to do a test of four different powders and wanted to use the same lead cast bullets and same primers and same brass to make the only variant the multiple powders being tested could I use the same grain charge with all four or would that throw the results off because I know not all powders are made the same.

Each powder will usually call for a different load gr.. Be careful with that.

Back
Top Bottom