• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New setup--Can't find powder!! Please Help!

art1911

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
I am new to reloading. Just bought a Dillon XL650 and built a reloading bench over the course of a week or so. I have decided to reload 9mm luger first. From what I hear this is a great cartridge to start with. I finally have my press settled in, read up on the subject and I am ready to set up my dies and start reloading rounds. The round I want to load first requires Hodgdons Tite Group powder... I can't find it at any of my go-to stores!! I have tried Army Navy in Stockbridge, the new gun store on 42 in McDonough and Moss pawn. After that, I decided to look at loading another cartridge with a more common powder. I found a load with a similar velocity and characteristics that uses Unique powder. I called all of these stores again.... NONE of them had it! Does anyone have advice of a store nearby that has a descent selection of reloading supplies? My backup plan is to drive to Bass Pro in Macon. or maybe Adventure Outdoors. TIPS?

P.S. Check out my setup!

Bench.jpg

Elite pawn in Conyers has a bunch of reloading supplies. I know they have powder, but I don't reload so I don't pay attention to what kind it is. If you call, ask for Ty, and he'll know what they have, what's coming in.

So what kind of powder can you find? You may see what is available, then go back and research load data for that powder/bullet combo. Powder is still a bit rough to come by. I've learned to work up loads w/ several different powders, even if it is not what I really want. At least I have notes and data in case a shortage comes again.

Thanks freedom I will give them a call. And Jaswhit52- I guess that is my backup-- backup plan. I think I might try that. I just was afraid of buying something that couldn't be used for 9mm.. Didn't look closely enough to do that at the time I went to the stores. Just was in and out.

take a drive up to hi caliber in holly springs, after calling to check, they had plenty of unique a week or two back. I also started with 9mm on a dillon, and load with 3.7 gn under a 147 gn berrys bullet.

Powders for small caliber handguns (e.g. 9mm) are hard to find. I make it a habit of checking all the stores I go in to, just in the off chance I find a can. I picked up some powder at Adventure Outdoors before Christmas. I'd call before I made a special trip.

Back
Top Bottom