• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to me 45-70 Model 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Made in 1879

WOW!
Thats a nice one.....inside of the lock and the mainspring look almost new. She's going to be a great shooter!

I was gonna say the same thing brother. That lock and mainspring are pristine!......and no boogered screws!

I was shocked when I took this out of the stock and looked under the barrel and receiver and found zero rust.
I am well pleased with this rifle and it should last me a lifetime.
First one I have owned (not shot as I have fired a few of these in my life).
Can not wait to shoot this one.

Ok so I shot it today and forgot that these things KICK like a Damn Mule and did not hold the first shot tight against my shoulder .
so I shot 30 rounds today and this thing is unexpectedly Accurate.
Started at 25 meters (1 shot to make sure it would hit paper) went to 50 meters (3 shots just under 2 inch spread) then 100 meters and groups at 100 meters were 4.5 inch spread (largest one) and not on a bench rest (color me Impressed).
I forgot my phone so no pictures at this time but will be at the range again next week and do a Proper Range report with Pictures, and Next time out will have bench rest and will get better results I am sure of it.
Today was shooting a 320gr LRN Bullet.
Will try different loads to see what She likes best but so far She is one nice shooter.

Bayonets are easy to come by... a must for this rifle!

That is on my radar to get one.

And I just Loaded 100 rounds of Ammo today Using 40.2 Grains of IMR 4895 Powder and a Lead Cast 405grn bullet.
I am using Star line brass.
We will see if I get the same performance as before.

That is on my radar to get one.

And I just Loaded 100 rounds of Ammo today Using 40.2 Grains of IMR 4895 Powder and a Lead Cast 405grn bullet.
I am using Star line brass.
We will see if I get the same performance as before.
405 is what those sights were made for. Good choice! My 1884 was made for 500 grainers. Both back a heck of a punch!

Back
Top Bottom