• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to the prepping game

Nothing wrong with baby steps. Better than getting overwhelmed thinking you have to spend thousands at once, because trust me, you'll never be finished. One you get one area covered something else comes up. It's all about layers, get the basics covered then go deeper. The rabbit hole goes on forever so make a list of priorities and start there

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Look up Rawles list of lists. Start with the basics like water, food, basic medical and protection. Rule of 3's. 3 min without air, 3 hours in bad weather without shelter and clothing, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food you go. Not much you can do about air besides a gas mask so focus on the other parts. Then the rabbit hole gets deep. The more skills you have the better. Education is key. And dont underestimate the importance of physical fitness.

Even after you get your gear, make sure you know how to use it. Practice setting up your tent and tarp, cooking meals outdoors, fire starting ( in all weather conditions), water purification, safe and practical firearms use. Learn practical first aid, free classes are available.
Look for water sources nearby if you plan to stay at your current location. Make up a plan to defend your position. Talk to your neighbors to find out if they are like minded.
Make a Bug out plan, you may not want to leave but you may not have a choice. Make a Bug out bag. Make a Get home bag.
Involve the people in your household in your plans, if you have children, make it fun but make it a learning opportunity. Make certain that your wife/partner buys in to this project.
Talk to your friends. When the whip comes down, it will be extremely difficult to defend your family/household, gather water and food and sleep. You will need help.

All good ideas listed above. Always focus on the basics (water, food, shelter, security, first aid and communications). Here are some basics:
  • First and foremost - Have a plan, write it down and prepare around it (will you Bug out? Bug in?, who are you taking care of? Kids? Pets? etc.)
  • Learning how to start a primitive fire is nice, but it's easier to buy 10 bic lighters and store them in ziplocks.
  • Hoarding water is fine, but it's more effective to buy a water filter and set up a drip system to so that you have a robust resource (see sawyer water filters)
  • Physical fitness is good. When things get hard, you will need some strength and stamina (consider Krav Maga, its great for actual effective self defense)
  • Guns are great, but you need to be safe and proficient
  • Take a first aid or trauma course and stock the supplies needed (make sure you have enough for everyone in your circle, including pets)
  • Build slow and get what you need at a discount (Sams, dollar store, etc.)
  • Avoid talking about your "prepping" to neighbors etc unless they are like minded. If they are, build a network and practice opsec. Desperate people do stupid things and it's best that they don't show up on your doorstep when things get hard.
Closing thought, preparedness will give you piece of mind. You wont be the guy running around buying toilet paper and N95 masks, because you quietly already have those, and many other things. I live in hurricane country and I watch the same fools panic every storm because they were too "busy" to get ready and they are always caught flat footed.

Consider joining https://americancontingency.locals.com/, This group is focused on all things preparedness and an excellent local networking opportunity.

I am willing to share my list I have compiled over the years if you are interested. Shoot me an email at hondoptc@gmail.com.

Watch for a deal on Life straw water filters, both the individual personal ones and the larger one for group size needs. Go to Harbor freight and pick up a tarp, magnesium fire starters. Get some contractor grade trash bags, duct tape, several pairs of gloves. Dollar tree for emergency candles. Paracord, rope, Bic lighters, Zip Lok bags are other basic stuff to look for. Watch for this stuff to go on sale, don't try to buy it all at once. Once you have started prepping, you are already three steps ahead of those that have not started. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I have been doing this a long time and would be happy to help.

Def going to order a bunch of life straw filters for the family. I already have a good bit of camping gear, including backpack stoves, tarps, tents, etc...working mainly on water/food at the moment...and ammo...

Sounds bad but utilize food pantries for can and dry goods. I actually need them cause I’m poor but I don’t have any problem with someone doing it to gather good. I am also making a methane reactor to power generators, cook stove and so on.

If you are gonna bug and not go anywhere make sure you tons of water containers full and non perishable foods. I have a family of 6 and have food for a year. My personal favorites are mountain house meals. I believe they have a 20 or 25 year shelf life now and are pretty darn good compared to some of the others out there. Get lots of beans and rice and tons of seasonings so you dont get bored with your food

Back
Top Bottom