• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Noob question on dies

Allsmiles

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
166   0
Reaction score
I just got a press (Lee single) and want to start reloading. I'm going to start with 9mm since I have several and they aren't ammo picky. My question is what is the difference between 3 and 4 die sets that I see online? Are the 4 die sets worth the extra money? I would rather order the correct items once if possible. Also, do I need Lee dies or can I use any of them listed for 9mm. I have a friend that reloads that will be helping me learn the basics.
Thanks

For what it's worth, all of my pistol die sets have three dies for a single stage press. I'm not sure what would be in a four die set, unless it's for a progressive press.

And I believe almost all the dies are interchangeable between manufacturers. I have a Lee universal decapping die that I use in my RCBS press sometimes.

I just got a press (Lee single) and want to start reloading. I'm going to start with 9mm since I have several and they aren't ammo picky. My question is what is the difference between 3 and 4 die sets that I see online? Are the 4 die sets worth the extra money? I would rather order the correct items once if possible. Also, do I need Lee dies or can I use any of them listed for 9mm. I have a friend that reloads that will be helping me learn the basics.
Thanks

Buy the 4 die set. The big difference is the 4th die. It is a factory crimp/resizing die.
Every bullet that comes out of that die is guaranteed to feed in your gun.
(I have made over 10k 9mm rounds with the Lee 4 die set and haven't had a bad one yet.)
This is especially important if you are reloading for competition.
A round that doesn't fit can really cost you.
My friend with the 3 die set, when done for the night, drops each one into a barrel to ensure they fit and some don't.
You can either check them like that, not check them at all or have them checked before they come off the press.
Your choice.

Thanks for the info. I think that for only a couple of dollars more, I'll order the 4 die sets. I see the Lee 90963 (4 die) sets listed for around $40. Do I need any type of bushing for these? I see them listed for about 2/$10. Like I said, brand new to this fun.

the four die set should have everything you need (shell holders are usually included as well, but double check). well except the press. and powder. and bullets. and primers. and a bunch more stuff.

but in regards to the dies, the 4 die Lee set is a great way to start. Like others, I have a variety of dies from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Dillon, Redding, etc. But in most of my calibers, I end up with a lee Factory crimp die to go with the other dies.

Now I feel dumb... I even had a Lee 'factory crimp' die in my .223 tool head (took a few minutes to remember that one). I didn't consider that being the fourth die in one of their sets.

Most all Lee dies are Carbide....if you vary away from the Lee dies just make,sure to get a carbide set...that way you won't need case lube.
Ditto on what Bill says about the 4 die set....go ahead and get it, it's worth it.

pretty much all straight wall pistol cases are carbide these days. if anyone wants a set of two of cheap dies to play with (non carbide, 38/357) let me know. :)

Every semi auto caliber that I reload has the factory crimp die!
almost every die (rifle or pistol) is a 7/8 X 14 thread I believe , so fit is ALMOST universal in a press, now you get into special calibers like the 50 and special presses like some progressives then you have misfits, and lee makes a few smaller presses that need bushings/ adapters to fit with standard dies.
enjoy and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom