• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Noob question on dies

I just got a press (Lee single) and want to start reloading. I'm going to start with 9mm since I have several and they aren't ammo picky. My question is what is the difference between 3 and 4 die sets that I see online? Are the 4 die sets worth the extra money? I would rather order the correct items once if possible. Also, do I need Lee dies or can I use any of them listed for 9mm. I have a friend that reloads that will be helping me learn the basics.
Thanks
My 2 cents worth. I have RCBS, LEE and LYMAN dies . I agree spend the money now for the best 4 die set you need in carbide. The other thing I will say is get at least one good reloading manual like Lyman and read it and use it . I know your
friend is going to help you and that's great, but read a lot . Good luck and enjoy!

You will need the bushings for your dies to fit in The Lee single stage press. Get enough bushings for each of your dies. This will enable you to adjust them and take them in and out of the press without having to adjust them every time.

You will need the bushings for your dies to fit in The Lee single stage press. Get enough bushings for each of your dies. This will enable you to adjust them and take them in and out of the press without having to adjust them every time.
Does the Lee single stage press have something different(threads,mounting surface) than a Rock chucker? I set dies in a rock chucker and don't have to adjust unless changing from a special to a magnum length , like .38 spl to 357 mag.

Does the Lee single stage press have something different(threads,mounting surface) than a Rock chucker? I set dies in a rock chucker and don't have to adjust unless changing from a special to a magnum length , like .38 spl to 357 mag.

My lee single stage uses the bushings. They are supposed to make swapping dies easier. Sometimes those lock rings move when screwing and unscrewing the dies in presses. The bushings were made to eliminate that factor. The bushing gets screwed in and you don't have to touch the die.

Seemed easier to me to just pick up a turret for each caliber, this way once they were in and set, I was done with adjusting.

I do agree if that's not an option, like if you were working on a single stage press, the bushings would be great to have. I'd hate to have to get them "just right" every time. The lock rings with set screws would do the same job too. Like the commercial "Set it and forget it".

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will order bushing when I order my dies in about a week. I have already ordered Lyman's 49th reloading manual and it should be here later this week. Getting this manual was the first thing my buddy told me to do and start reading. He said without a good understanding of the process, don't even get anything except the very basics. He gave me a list of items that I will need once I start reloading with what I will need first. Looking forward to new hobby that I can do at 0430 in the morning when I get off from work.

Welcome to the club. Watch a few times and listen. Read and understand what you've read. Don't go over max and you should be fine. My $0.02.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will order bushing when I order my dies in about a week. I have already ordered Lyman's 49th reloading manual and it should be here later this week. Getting this manual was the first thing my buddy told me to do and start reading. He said without a good understanding of the process, don't even get anything except the very basics. He gave me a list of items that I will need once I start reloading with what I will need first. Looking forward to new hobby that I can do at 0430 in the morning when I get off from work.

In not too long you'll consider it therapy, like most of us.
(There's nothing like being pissed off at something and then going to make bullets, lol. It's very empowering, lol.)

Last edited:
Best advice I ever got was to read at least 2 manuals carefully (the instruction part, not the load listings, of course!) before touching your press. That helps a lot, and don't stop there! I keep 5 manuals plus manufacturer sites and internet sources...

I agree, you're going to want that factory crimp die in the 4-die set! I get one for every set that doesn't have it. You can always crimp lighter rather than heavy, but you can't beat that consistent diameter of your loaded rounds.

You're going to love that 0430 loading! Quiet house = good loading. Don't load distracted, it's not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom