• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Noob question on dies

Best advice I ever got was to read at least 2 manuals carefully (the instruction part, not the load listings, of course!) before touching your press. That helps a lot, and don't stop there! I keep 5 manuals plus manufacturer sites and internet sources...

I agree, you're going to want that factory crimp die in the 4-die set! I get one for every set that doesn't have it. You can always crimp lighter rather than heavy, but you can't beat that consistent diameter of your loaded rounds.

You're going to love that 0430 loading! Quiet house = good loading. Don't load distracted, it's not worth the risk.

Or drinking, never load when you're drinking, lol.

I'll second biker bill on the 4 die set. I like the Lee Premium sets...they are inexpensive, carbide, and have the Factory Crimp Die. The FCD can also be used with the Lee Bulge buster on auto rounds such as 9mm, 40 S&W, & 45 auto because the FCD has a carbide sizing ring built into it. The other benefit of the Lee die sets is the "powder through" feature of the second die which expands the case mouth to your setting and then auto drops your powder load from your (Lee Pro Auto-Disk) powder dispenser. Probably won't help much with a single stage, but it's the cat with the Lee Turret Press. The die works great if you want to drop powder through it manually from a dipper too...and the second (powder through) die comes equipped with the adapter to dump powder through it manually.

PS. Figure out how much bushings cost vs going with the Lee 4 position Turret press; turret price per caliber vs a bushing for each die. Midway is a quick good price reference on line.

Last edited:
I have reloaded for over 40yrs and I started off by only buying RCBS everything. Tried the Lee dies and now they are all I buy. Smallest group I have ever shot is 3/8" 100 yards 3rds 308 168gr Amax 45grs Varget with regular Lee dies. The Lee Reloading Manual is very good also, it has the most data on different powders and bullets than any other. Reloading gets into you blood and you will enjoy it for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom